So how important is yeast in apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
Seems like its a huge factor.

Its been a month since I made my first batch of apfel wein.. racked to my secondary yesterday.. and bottled about a litre of it.

It tastes great.. pretty dry.. just like uncarbonated champaigne. I used EC 1118 champaigne yeast.

So if I used a totally different yeast ie. a type used in Merlot, etc. would the apfel wein end up tasting closer to Merlot?

It wouldn't taste like merlot, as it doesn't have the same fruit base, but every yeast will produce different flavors and profiles in wines. So experiment and see what you like best.

I've done 3068 (weizen yeast) and it's good. Leaves a little bit more fruit taste behind, not sure if I'd call it much sweeter though.

To make Apfelwein, the Yeast and the sugar are 66% of the finished product! The yeast is VERY important. As is the use of Corn Sugar. If you don't use those 2 ingredients in combination with quality Apple Juice, you'll end up with cider for sure, but it won't be Apfelwein.

I've done 3068 (weizen yeast) and it's good. Leaves a little bit more fruit taste behind, not sure if I'd call it much sweeter though.

I'll give it a shot.. thats what a lot of people on those other threads suggested too.

btw, I love your screen name. Vonnegut is the ****

Back