So how bad is O'Doul's Amber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since I'm recovering from surgery at my sister's, last night my BIL and I were gonna have a "guy's night in," since my sister had a (groan) red hat lady's event. We were got to watch the military channel instead of the shows my sister likes and my BIL acquiesces to.

A couple days before when we found out she was going to be gone, he says to me, "If you want me to pick up some fake beer, let me know." But I forgot about it til now.

So I was googling N/a beers and noticed, that except for BMC clones O'Doul's makes an amber.

ODouls-Amber.jpg

One review said....
Wow! A pleasant surprise. Caramel malts add flavor to the cardboard king. Definitely drinkable. Hopefully Amber cases will replace this brands awful O'Doul's premium on the shelves. Please pray with me..!

One website called it an Octoberfest.

I know it's not going to taste like "real" beer, especially real craft or homebrew, but I'm wondering seriously, if any of you actually have tasted it and can be critically serious and let me know what to expect.

I kinda want something fizzy and beerlike at least to tide me over til I get cleared to drink beer again, so I'd appreciate some SERIOUS imput here....I know it's a bmc and it's n/a so the tendency is to wanna joke or bash...

But I'm asking out of a sense of desperation here......And this is me, so refrain from the usual silliness, or at least some of you manage to actually answer my question, please.....

homer-must-have-beer-385x240.jpg

Thanks.

Revvy

:mug:

I have had it before and would rather drink it than most alcoholic american lagers

tasteswise that is:) Good luck on the recovery

I didn’t even know they made an amber. In truth, I’ve never been huge on O’Doul’s. I find Clausthauler to be drinkable, but it has that sweet grainy quality that you just don’t get in regular beer. My neighbor doesn’t drink beer anymore, I couldn’t believe it either, and drinks a lot of St. Pauli Girl NA. He’s let me try one before and it wasn’t too bad. The nice thing about NA beer, I don’t feel compelled to pour it into a glass to enjoy the subtle aromas and nuances. Nope, I’m just going to go ahead and slam that sucker out of the long neck!

Honestly, I probably should keep something like that around for when I want a beer, but am doing something like operating power tools or rotating the car tires, times when you don’t really want anything clouding your judgment.

Never heard of it, but if it's not too bad I'll gladly drink one or two of those if I'm the driver. Sure it has to beat any of the other NA beers I've had.

It is better than the rest of the n/a's....but it still is what it is. I drink it at times I need to drive, etc. I also actually like sparkling cider. Both will bridge the gap til you have the real stuff again.

It is better than the rest of the n/a's....but it still is what it is. I drink it at times I need to drive, etc. I also actually like sparkling cider. Both will bridge the gap til you have the real stuff again.

Yeah we have some sparkling ciders around leftover from the holidays for the underage folks in the family.

i've had the odoul's amber and the coors non-alcoholic beer when my wife was preggums. Both are better than most n/a beers.

What you really need is some n/a Colt 45. Now that would be a party!

O'Doul's Amber is actually a lot better than a kick in the shin.... something I can't say about its green-bottled cousin. And I'm surprised so many people haven't seen it. It's in every grocery/convenience store in my locale.

And I have heard of the N/A Guinness but have never seen it. But if I find it I'll snatch it up and give you a review.

So I got some today.

The amber is not bad... not great, but not hurlworthy either. If it had maybe 5-10 more gravity points worth of body it would be a decent malty beer. Like a fake vienna. It's too bad, it tastes ok, not as sickly sweet as I feared, but if it were less thin it would be a really good substitute for a "real" beer for us "booze invalids."

This Christmas I bought some for my dad (on some meds that do not mix with alcohol) and my sister (preggers). I drank a bottle, and hell, it was better than most "lite" beers. I'd drink it if I had to abstain for awhile.

Both my Dad and my sister ended up having a small (3oz?) sample of my homebrew, though. They couldn't help themselves.:D

I got tricked into drinking O'Doul's Amber one time. I'll never trust my friends to get me a beer ever again. However, I have to admit, it was quite good.

The other day Marybeth and I went out for pizza and I tried Labatt's N/A called Nordic.

labatt-nordic.jpg

It was actually really good for that style of beer, in fact I can unequivocally say that it is better than a fully alcoholic Budweiser product, hands down. I am a fan of Labatt's Blue as my goto sports bar beer, and really like Labatt's 50, and this non alcoholic is very very good. In fact I could see myself buying that if I wanted a beer taste but didn't want any alcohol.

It's funny, I originally went to the Amber because it would be more on par with the time of ales I prefer, but I ended up actually enjoying something more akin to a beer style I don't tend to enjoy much better.

I don't mind O'Douls when I need something NA. My wife was drinking a lot of it when she was pregnant.

It's like a malty-pop (soda).

Warsteiner also makes an NA that's not bad.

Hmm, I've had Clausthaler, but I don't think it was the amber. I might actually give that a try.

I just found another beers store with an awesome craft beer selection, and they had a bunch of N/A beers I've never seen anywhere else and that was one of them. This could be a fun exploration of a new "style" to tide me over until I can drink again.

My girlfriend hasn't drank in over two years, and says that Kaliber is her favorite. I'll occasionally take a sip or two of one of her NA beers, and i found Kaliber to be the most appealing, for what its worth

I've found so many great tips on here and including a bunch from you REvvy, that I finally figured I would give some feedback on something I knew a little about. I used to drink o'douls amber before I found Kalibre. I have also tried Busch Na and Clausthaler, didn't really care for either. Sharps is nasty, as is O'douls regular. Especially since most bars don't go through it fast enough that almost every bottle is skunky(thank you green bottles. Thanks again for all the tips.

I've found so many great tips on here and including a bunch from you REvvy, that I finally figured I would give some feedback on something I knew a little about. I used to drink o'douls amber before I found Kalibre. I have also tried Busch Na and Clausthaler, didn't really care for either. Sharps is nasty, as is O'douls regular. Especially since most bars don't go through it fast enough that almost every bottle is skunky(thank you green bottles. Thanks again for all the tips.

This is very interesting, considering it's ONLY your third post!!! :D

Welcome to the world of light and away from the shadows! :mug:

I just tried the President's Choice Red Brew.

How was it? Lemme put it this way... I had about 5, and the SWMBO asked me if I could get something from the grocery store, and I told her I had too much beer. Not only did I enjoy it, I forgot it was NA. The swelling from where she hit me is subsiding as well :D

presidents choice is the sams club(walmart) store brand.

edit- nope. members mark is what i was thinking of. i still recall seeing presidents choice cookies there, but that's probably not related.

I though PC was also a brand for Kroger's in the states.

But all N/a beers are going to score low on beer geek sites. So it's really hard to get a handle.

@Revvy: Yeah, it's a Canadian beer, easily found in Fortino's, Loblaw's, and the like. Sounds like a great reason to make a day trip to Sarnia :D

Back