So, how bad is it to not clean a new kettle thermowell before first use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iCas

Reaction score
Hi everybody. First time to post. Not quite sure if this is the right forum, but I have a possible problem here I’m hoping someone might have insight on: how bad is it to not clean a new stainless steel thermowell and proceed to do a 2 hour boil with it attached to the brew kettle? I had attached it to my kettle when I received it, just to check it fit , and left it on there. About an hour into the boil today I realized that I couldn’t remember ever actually cleaning it. Think any of the possible residual oils or compounds could be toxic? It’s in the fermenter now, and I’m trying to RDWHAHB, but can’t stop thinking about it. Don’t want to drink, or give anybody else, toxic beer!☢️ FWIW, I didn’t notice anything on it when I was putting it on. I suppose I could call Brewer’s Hardware and ask them what residual chemicals could’ve been on it. Any thoughts, other than that I’m an idiot? Thanks in advance.

Probably OK. Trace amounts of pretty much anything just once is fine.
Welcome to the forum!

If we don't hear back we'll know it was toxic.

I doubt that there was enough residual oil left over from processing to cause a problem in the boil.

Wondering why would you use a thermowell in your kettle? Thermowells are generally used in fermenters to facilitate accurate temp probe readings in order to control fermentation temps.

Thanks for the responses guys. I do BIAB, so mashing in the same vessel. Wanted to try a digital thermometer instead of the dial that came with the pot, so I got an NPT thermowell from Brewer’s Hardware. Well, I’ll be happy if I don’t have to dump it! I appreciate the feedback, helps my paranoid mind a bit. Thanks!

Well, I’ll be happy if I don’t have to dump it! I appreciate the feedback, helps my paranoid mind a bit. Thanks!

No way you'd need to dump a beer for simply not cleaning a thermowell. You'll be totally fine. As mentioned any possible residual oils would be so minute in 5 gallons of beer. Relax and don't worry about it.

Rev.

That’s what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the input Rev. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back