So dumb question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havoc2617

Reaction score
After I finish a Mead and I add potassium metabisulfite and sorbistat K to stabilize, is it possible for me to reuse the leese/yeast in a new mead batch or are the yeast dead at that point?
I am literally asking after I rack into bottles can I take the leese and used yeast at the bottom and pour it into my next batch of Mead and get successful fermentation?

Probably not.

It sounds like you added stabilizers while it was still on the lees.

Even if that isn't the case, the likely high alcohol environment (unless you made a hydromel?) and the time you probably let it sit and finish fermenting and clarifying, those things would have worked against you.

Probably not.

It sounds like you added stabilizers while it was still on the lees.

Even if that isn't the case, the likely high alcohol environment (unless you made a hydromel?) and the time you probably let it sit and finish fermenting and clarifying, those things would have worked against you.
Correct I added the sorbistat K and the potassium metabisulfite and then cold crashed, after about one week I bottled. I actually stop the fermentation short of about 15.22% by yeast could have gone to 18% but we really like the taste so I went ahead and stabilized

At this point, you're better off working with fresh yeast for the next batch. If you want to reuse the yeast on the next batch rack your mead off the lees first, add the stabilizers to the finishing mead in the new carboy and put your fresh and readied must on top of the old lees.

P.S.> no question is a dumb question :) we're all learning here.

Back