So, do you think you make good beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started. I have 4 extract batches under my belt. 2 kits. 2 still fermenting
The second kit turned out not so great, but I am drinking it as a punishment for not doing it right. My next two are in a swamp cooler and are maintaining a constant temp so I am hopeing for much better. One is at FG after 6 days but I am letting it sit for 3 weeks in primary before bottling. The other is a lager that I have in a mr beer fermenter in my fridge, with an airlock that I added.

We will see what happens but you guys are a great help. Why didn't I start this hobby earlier?

Well, I make "drinkable" beer. So, either I am making HORRIBLE beer or really good beer. Either way, I am still drinking it:)

I think this research applies to people's driving skills:cross:

http://www.zenspider.com/RWD/Thoughts/Inept.html

"...according to his research, most incompetent people do not know they are incompetent.

On the contrary. People who do things badly... are usually supremely confident of their abilities -- more confident, in fact, than people who do things well."

I must be competent because I feel the majority of people I work with are raging incompetent asshats. The level of half-assedness, shoulder shrugging, and CYA games drives me out of my mind. What scares me the most is that I may one day get sucked into that kind of mentality.

I prefer to allow freinds and family to judge my beer. In other words the ratio of my empty kegs to the empty cans of BMC the morning after a party. So far I am the winner most of the time. Now, I'm still searching for that elusive perfect beer. Until I taste or brew it, I will continue different recipes and subject my freinds and family to ****faced taste tests.

I make a good beer. It tastes better than most of the stuff I buy on the market, which is something I partake in less and less.

I'm w/ Beerthirty... I let my beer speek for it self. Some are good. Some are great. and then there are those like my Munich Gold, that were some of the best beer I have ever tasted.

The research applies to just about everything; driving, writing, religion. Ignorance really is bliss.

An adjunct to that: criminals have high self-esteem, are uniformly brilliant, and only get caught due to bad luck.

An adjunct to that: criminals have high self-esteem, are uniformly brilliant, and only get caught due to bad luck.

Now that there is funny!

As for my beer, it's liquid gold (high self-esteem) due to my incredible brewing brilliance. If anything goes wrong, it's due to bad advice from Laughing Gnome Invisible.

My beer (of the 4 or 5 batches I've made so far) is alright. I already know that there are things I can do to make it better. If the worst thing that happens when I make beer is that I can get drunk off of a mediocre try then I'll accept that gladly.

"good" beer is such a subjective term it is ridiculous. That said, compared to commercial beer like I normally drink, by beer is somewhere slightly below average. It is all drinkable and every once in a while I will make something that is actually good.

Most people do not have good palates or the experience to truly appreciate beer. If I went off of peer reviews 98% of my beers would be championship winners and vaulting me to the next Dogfish Head storyline. This just is not the case. I have brewed 3-4 beers that were good, the rest have been passable.

I think that I brew pretty good beer. Peer review is my guide. If my friends like it and a Pro Brewer likes it...well there ya have it. I do not think I have gotten brewing advice from LGI but his pearls of wisdom are priceless and usually pretty funny

I like my beer, but I am pretty reluctant to let people try it... one batch might be over carbed, so I am reluctant to share that. Another is under carbed, so can't give that away... [bottling sucks]. One might be just a bit too hoppy right now... Another is too good there is no damn way I am going to share it!

I think my beer is good... not stellar, hell not even better than other people's beer I've tasted, but definitely drinkable and enjoyable...

I always think there is something off with my beer, so I perceive it as being bad or not great. Then I give it to someone else and they say its great or pretty good. I attribute that to them not being able to taste some subtle off flavors that I might be able to taste. I still think that my beer is not great but I have brewed a few that I thought were awsome.

It cycles. I'll brew a couple of really good ones consecutively and think I'm doing great but then I'll brew a stinker or worse, a contaminated brew, and think wtf is wrong with me. Even if I make brew that tastes great, but I missed the target on something (FG, body, hoppiness, etc.), I still consider that a FAIL.

And of course, the amount of attention to detail and further studying I do is inversely proportional to how good my most recent batches have been. So I do end up learning more when I brew substandard beers.

But I drive great...my license says so.:D

About 1 year in and I have made some absolute crap that was undrinkable and some really enjoyable beer. The process is evolving and I am learning and that is what makes it enjoyable. Learning something new keeps me happy.

Many incompetent people are very competent at making people think they know what the hell they are talking about. In the Navy I've seen several people who couldn't lead their way out of an open door advance rapidly, get good evaluations, etc....

Back