so carbing by weight.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i got help on a calc for how many grams of co2....anyone got a calc for how long it takes to dissolve into water? i burst carb to 1.3oz's, then throw it in the fridge....but, it comes out foam first few pours....them after a day or two it's perfect.....just wondering, is there a gentler way to get 1.3oz's of co2 into solution then shaking the keg, where it's like married with children, or could it be done more nicely? i'm planing on getting a longer line and could roll my keg gently till it takes the weight.....

Say no more
5B277501-AB67-4C18-8B66-C79FD33CC039.png

Actually, using a QuickCarb, you wouldn't keep playing around with that burst carb paradigm at all.
You'd use chart pressure, let the pump run 'til the beer reaches equilibrium, and you're done in an hour.
Zero drama, easy peasy...

Cheers!

and you're done in an hour.

too long....and i'd have to buy two of them for my 10 gallon batches.....it only takes about 30 seconds of shaking at 50 psi to pump in ~1.5oz of co2....then a day to get cold, or two....i'll see if that fan you recommended in the fridge gets it done quicker...

i did get a good steady reading off the scale with a clamp holding the gas line to a chair......

(damn, just had a thought for the quick carb and two kegs....a jumper line from one keg to the other!! something to think about for sure!)

but still my original question, if i had a warm recently shaken can of beer....what's the fastest way to get the co2 into solution, so it doesn't explode when i pop it open?

i know i got the right weight of co2 into the keg....but it's like pointless, if it still takes a week to get cold, and dissolve.....

i do apreciate the fan in the fridge idea.....i think that's what i really need, a way to get a 85f keg or two actually cold in a day, i got the carbing down.....

i think i was just wondering like the psi to vol chart, if there was something similar to know how long it takes to dissolve?

Just for the record...are you relieving the 50 psi head space pressure before dispensing?

Cheers!

no i put it in the fridge unhooked up till it's cold....i figure if i allready have the weight of co2 i want in the keg, then i just need to give it time to dissolve.....which is two problems i have, both getting it cold enough to drink in a day, and figuring out how to get the co2 to dissolve quicker.....just tapped a keg that's been in the fridge since last monday, not hooked to gas the whole time, that i added 1.3oz's too, when i hooked my gas to it no pressure change, and i have another keg hooked up without a check valve between them....and it pours perfect...

do i need a blast chiller? and if someone handed you a shakin can of beer, what would be the quickest way to settle the co2, so it didn't gush?

edit: sorry if i'm being a pain in the ass...

If someone had the temerity to hand me a shaken can of cold beer that I actually had enough interest in to not simply throw back at their head, I'd stick the can in the freezer and set the timer on my watch for an hour.

Anyway...unless you're killing a keg every other day it seems to me you could afford a bit more clock in your pipeline. I mean, with all the "beer" you brew if you can't handle taking a few days for a keg to be "ready" maybe there's a bigger issue here ;)

Cheers!

i was malting my own too....back to buying malt now, but it took, a week to malt a batch, week to ferment....then i'd usually just drink it out of the keg, warm and flat, while it cooled and got carbed.....but now, with you guy's idea of fans in the fridge, and keeping my co2 tank on scale....thinking i can get carbonated beer ready to serve in a day maybe! no more drinking it warm and flat! ;) and as a threat :mug: lol

I mean, with all the "beer" you brew if you can't handle taking a few days for a keg to be "ready" maybe there's a bigger issue here ;)

there is, i already offered $1,200 for prayers that actually work! i still got that stupid thing....but for the time being i got two 15 gallon fermenters, with leaky lids, and 6 kegs.....their all full right now, but i gotta brew tomorrow, so that in 7 days i have something to fill two of them up with....it'd be nice if it was carbonated, but not required!

but still my original question, if i had a warm recently shaken can of beer....what's the fastest way to get the co2 into solution, so it doesn't explode when i pop it open?
The CO2 is alread in solution, it's just very unstable because of all the shaking and rocking. If it weren't into solution then it could not create foam as you tap the beer.
I'm afraid there's not getting around a "rest period". Either that or you need to carb with set-and-forget which has the rest period basically built in. Like with many other things you can do it fast and messy or slow and pretty but you can't mix and match the two...

Like with many other things you can do it fast and messy or slow and pretty but you can't mix and match the two...

that's what she said.....lol

i'm working on quick and messy....but like precisely, you only want your dick like 80% in the cooch....then let it rest for a few days.....;)

@Kent88 i told you i'd get banned some day! funny it'd be a thread about burst carbing my kegs! lol :mug: ah hell, i'll strike it, because i like you guys!

Last edited:
How about you chill your beer first, then carb with whatever process works for your timeline? It's the same amount of time, more of less. Maybe less by a few seconds. I force carb my 35 degree f. beer quickly. Let it sit couple hours while the temp slowly rises. I get a perfect pour with very little waste right from the start. I do have a properly sized and well planned system. As in beer lines that are very long.

How about you chill your beer first, then carb with whatever process works for your timeline?

i haven't revisted this in a while, but i just was told that by someone else.....to get the co2 into solution faster, i'm not looking for a work out......

If you get a pressurizable fermenter and a spunding valve it can be mostly carbed when it's done. Cold crash right in the fermenter under pressure and then hook up to your kegs for and easy transfer of green but cold and carbed beer.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/carbonating-keg-lid.html
Follow the instructions to slowly increase the pressure. Keep venting the head-space and you can get carbed in an hour or two. I've used before (DIY version before they were available to purchase) on mix drinks in kegs for parties and used to use kegs as brite tanks with one of these then transfer to another keg for serving to eliminate sediment that gets picked up when moving kegs, now I just filter between conical and kegs and keep a pipeline where Im not rushing.

How about a quick carb inline with an immersion chiller in an ice water bath? Carb and chill in an hour or less maybe? And no shaking.

How about a quick carb inline with an immersion chiller in an ice water bath? Carb and chill in an hour or less maybe? And no shaking.

that's something to think about.....wonder how long to get 1.3oz's at 50psi reciculating it....

i was look for the thread where doug explained how to calculate weight for volume by size, being my HP guage dropped while burst carbing today. but thought i'd update this, and say if i get the beer down to 40f first it takes the co2 easy enough, i don't need a shaker!

Back