SNPA inspired IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinzonCachondo

Reaction score
While a great beer, SNPA seems to be balancing right in between being a Pale Ale and an IPA according to the style guidelines. I thought it'd be fun to give it a little nudge to push it more squarely in the IPA range. Here's the recipe I'm planning on trying this weekend:

SNPA inspired IPA (American IPA)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.069 (°P): 16.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 6.78 %
Colour (SRM): 12.8 (EBC): 25.2
Bitterness (IBU): 54.8 (Average)
Batch size 5 gal/19 liter

91.67% Maris Otter Malt - 12lbs 2 oz / 5.5 kg
8.33% Caramel 60 - 1lb 1.6 oz / 0.5 kg

0.1 oz/Gal / 1.1 g/L Magnum (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) - 0.7 oz / 20 g
0.1 oz/Gal / 1.1 g/L Perle (6% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) - 0.7 oz / 20 g
0.3 oz/Gal / 2.1 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) - 1.4 oz / 40 g
0.4 oz/Gal / 3.2 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) - 2 oz / 60 g

Single step Infusion at 151°F/66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 68°F/20°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I'd love to hear your thoughts as this'll be my 6th beer. I went with Marris Otter as I can't seem to get 2row here and I figure the extra maltiness might balance the added dryness. The hop schedule is more or less the same as some of the SNPA clones out there, only bumped up a bit to get the IBU's up.

I did a SNPA clone (with 2 row) but I dry hopped with 2 oz of Simcoe. It was great.

@masskrug: Sounds good. As a first attempt, I think I'm going to leave it as is. I'll keep Dryhopping simcoe in mind for a future tweak depending on how it turns out.

@RonPopeil: Thanks. Those are the numbers from Brewmate. I'm hoping it comes out a bit dryer, especially since OG came in a tad low at 1.064. I'm hoping for 1.014.

SNPA does not straddle American Pale Ale and American IPA. As the gold standard for the American Pale Ale style, SNPA is the beer by which all other American Pale Ales are judged. Sierra Nevada basically invented modern American Pale Ale. Before Sierra Nevada, all American Pale Ales were English Pale Ale clones. Anchor invented modern American IPA when they released Anchor Liberty Ale

10A. American Pale Ale

Aroma: Usually moderate to strong hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is very common, but not required. Low to moderate maltiness supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). Fruity esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.

Appearance: Pale golden to deep amber. Moderately large white to off-white head with good retention. Generally quite clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.

Flavor: Usually a moderate to high hop flavor, often showing a citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may be used). Low to moderately high clean malt character supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). The balance is typically towards the late hops and bitterness, but the malt presence can be substantial. Caramel flavors are usually restrained or absent. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Moderate to high hop bitterness with a medium to dry finish. Hop flavor and bitterness often lingers into the finish. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body. Carbonation moderate to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often associated with high hopping rates.

Overall Impression: Refreshing and hoppy, yet with sufficient supporting malt.

Comments: There is some overlap in color between American pale ale and American amber ale. The American pale ale will generally be cleaner, have a less caramelly malt profile, less body, and often more finishing hops.

History: An American adaptation of English pale ale, reflecting indigenous ingredients (hops, malt, yeast, and water). Often lighter in color, cleaner in fermentation by-products, and having less caramel flavors than English counterparts.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt, typically American two-row. American hops, often but not always ones with a citrusy character. American ale yeast. Water can vary in sulfate content, but carbonate content should be relatively low. Specialty grains may add character and complexity, but generally make up a relatively small portion of the grist. Grains that add malt flavor and richness, light sweetness, and toasty or bready notes are often used (along with late hops) to differentiate brands.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.060
IBUs: 30 – 45 FG: 1.010 – 1.015
SRM: 5 – 14 ABV: 4.5 – 6.2%

Commercial Examples: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Stone Pale Ale, Great Lakes Burning River Pale Ale, Bear Republic XP Pale Ale, Anderson Valley Poleeko Gold Pale Ale, Deschutes Mirror Pond, Full Sail Pale Ale, Three Floyds X-Tra Pale Ale, Firestone Pale Ale, Left Hand Brewing Jackman’s Pale Ale

Fair enough. But if you look at the description for an American IPA, you'll see that SNPA falls just short of fitting in there. My point in doing this is to find out what it'd be like if you took the SNPA recipe and turned it up it just a little bit louder so that it lands in IPA territory.

Back