Snowflakes in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dn151864

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I decided to take my beer outside into the snow to try cooling it after the boil. It was snowing out at the time and I put the pot in a nice snowbank. After opening the lid a few times I thought to myself "hmm... It's snowing and I'm getting snow flakes in my beer. This might not be a great idea".

Needless to say, I got the beer down to 120ish degrees, taking the lid on and off multiple times, before bringing it in and sitting it in an ice bath to finish cooling. Do you think the snowflakes that got in my beer is going to create bacteria that'll ruin the beer?

Thanks!

I'd say you're alright. Just opening the pot exposes it to bacteria so I little snow shouldn't hurt. Just let it ride

Depends on what temperature the beer was at and how long they've been in the beer - anything above 160 degrees wouldn't likely hurt it from snowflakes. As you know, bacteria and yeast are constantly floating around so it's possible.

You will likely have to simply wait and see how the beer turns out. My guess, it's probably fine.

Remember, the British ferment a lot in open fermenters and their beer is wonderful. One of the reasons to have a good, strong yeast pitch is the yeast will help defend the beer as well.

Have a beer and keep us posted how it turns out.

Great, thanks for the advice! If it comes out bad I'll let you know. If not, I'm sure I'll forget to respond! I was unaware about British beer being fermented in open fermenters. That's really intestesting. I wonder how they keep it from spoiling. I'll have to do some research!

Back