Snow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomelessWook

Reaction score
Semi snowed in here in Richmond, VA - VA is getting worked pretty good right now. We aren't use to too much snow and have about 6 inches on the ground now and about 6 more waiting to fall if i understand correctly (reports keep changing).

Anyone else in this mess? Personally i find snow annoying but every once in a while when you have all the necessities it isn't bad just sitting inside and relaxing.

:mug:

001-1.jpg

I love snow but this year has been a bummer so far.

All you need now is some Glögg.

Just up the road from you... I agree it sucks

Although my daughter loved it when I pulled her around the neighborhood on the body board and 100 year old sled.

We were scheduled for 1-3 here in NVA. Right now we have 5 and its snowing balls to the wall.

Got about 3 inches out here in Pittsboro, its really nice. Just went up to the bar for a few beers and I felt like I was in a Colorado ski town! Love it, drinking a 6 pack of Racer 5 and researching my Brutus build, what a great day!

I just watched some neighbors try to back out in a small car and get stuck and try to do everything they could for about 15 minutes trying to get it to move.

They finally gave up and started clearing a path to pull it back into the spot. The guy started spinning the tires trying to drive back into the spot - i thought for sure he was going to spin out when he took off and wreck into 2 cars - luckily for him he didn't even though he clearly did not know how to drive in snow.

i really wish he had hit a car - i had the camera out trying to take stealth pictures but missed all the good ones.

We have about 6 inches in Fairfax, VA. Good thing the kitchen is stocked. Getting ready to brew in the next few days so making some starters and fixing up my kegerator. Kegs are getting chilled outside while I start modding the fridge. Just hope the UPS lady shows up with my new regulator and we are all set.

No UPS lady. Apparently after a failed first attempt (Friday) they delay shipment for 2 days. Sucks.

yep, about 6 inches in manassas,VA. I didn't have any ice for the ice bath so I used snow. Yummy oatmeal stout.

Its estimated to be up to 15 inches by the end of tonight. Actual snowfall is about 6-8 inches right now (not much snow compared to out West; but we only get about an inch on average every few years combined so you can imagine the city shutting down). I just got home from work about an hour ago so its been a fun night. Got home in time to help the girls finish their snowman.

To bad we have no hills other than Mt. Trashmore to take my kids sledding or something; but they got some in this year up at the parents house on X-Mas.

So i bottled my first batch 1/8 at 1:30am and it has been at 73 degrees since. I decided to put one in the fridge in honor of this snow day and it being right after the 3 week mark.

Just cracked it and it is pretty good - a lot more smooth and subtle then last time i tried a bottle of it (about 2 weeks ago) - the harsh bitter after taste has smoothed out tremendously and i feel after another week or so i wont be ashamed to let someone else drink it :)

As an upstate New Yorker transplanted to Richmond VA, I can't help but chuckle as everyone panics over the snow. Flurries like this wouldn't normally give me a seconds pause... now I'm stuck in the house because no one can plow the roads around here.

That same system dropped about 3/4" of ice (mostly sleet) here in Little Rock, AR. Some guys in my class who live 20 miles north said they had close to 5" of snow on top of the ice. Went out today and the roads were passable but really crappy for somebody used to living up north where they actually have plows. Throw all the sand you want on ice, you just get dirty ice.

As an upstate New Yorker transplanted to Richmond VA, I can't help but chuckle as everyone panics over the snow. Flurries like this wouldn't normally give me a seconds pause... now I'm stuck in the house because no one can plow the roads around here.

HA! Exactly. I lived in CO and drive to Northern WV on a monthly basis for my National Guard unit so I consider myself pretty well versed in driving in SNOW. This isn't snow here its like bedlam due to the lack of VDOT and ability of common sense when driving. Had a girl in a Nissan sentra/altima pass me on the un-plowed interstate on the way to work this morning doing probably doing 55... 2 minutes later her car was facing the opposite direction against the railing. People need to stay in their means. Half of my employees I gave rides to and from work due to their inability to drive. I even had a fellow employee come to work CRYING due to driving in snow. I mean honestly its just snow and ice... nothing worth crying about; but I guess people have there things (hence why traffic in my area is pointless (OH NO A TUNNEL SLOW DOWN TO 15MPH DUE IT BEING OL SO SCARY).

But the bright side to all of this is that I got to shut down my store early and come home... drinking some apfelwein grog and chillin watching my netflix of Jericho :) Love it!

I used to live in central Ohio and it was really frustrating trying to drive among the idiots in the snow. Now I live near Rochester NY and the only time the people aren't driving like idiots is when it snows.

Dave

I used to live in central Ohio and it was really frustrating trying to drive among the idiots in the snow. Now I live near Rochester NY and the only time the people aren't driving like idiots is when it snows.

Dave

I don't know, 23 years growing up in Rochester before I moved to Richmond, I found that everyone seems to "forget" how to drive in the snow at the beginning of every winter. Idiots in the ditches all over the place.

I don't know, 23 years growing up in Rochester before I moved to Richmond, I found that everyone seems to "forget" how to drive in the snow at the beginning of every winter. Idiots in the ditches all over the place.

It's still like that, but they only have to do it once per season because the snow pretty much lasts all winter. In Columbus they get three or four opportunities to forget and have to relearn because the snow comes and goes.

Dave

We've got about 8-10 inches here in So. Delaware so far. Still snowing and we should have a foot by morning. This is the 2nd big storm we got this year. The first one was kind of fun, but the thought of having to shovel out the driveway again makes this one not so fun.

My oldman flew up to asheville NC yesterday. He said between 4pm and 9 they had 14" of snow, no power, and declared it a state of emergency. Was none too happy. Sorry guys.

Roads are still covered, althougth apparently it's now slush. It would be easy to clear now, but with the lack of plows, it will probably just freeze tonight and make an icy mess for tomorrow. Trying to find out whether or not work is gonna be closed tomorrow. LHBS closes at 6. If I don't have to go to work, I gotta have something to do! Just freed up 2 primarys today.

Back