Snow day = All Grain brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lstrowge

Born Texan living (trapped) in Washington state
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time posting, no pics yet. 2nd Snow day in a row so I decided to brew the NB "Surley Bender" Pro kit I got the other day.

Mashed in, missed the temp a little high but got it down to 153 pretty quick.

My set up is a sorta 3 tier gravity rig. Basically a wood two tier cart high enough to put the boil kettle/burner on the ground. 10gal Igloo mash tun. HLT is curretnly gas heated 8 gal SS but soon to be 200watt/120v fired. Waiting for the step bit to drill out the hole.

I'll get pcs up as soon as I get an online pic account.

Updated w/pics

Brew Rig 1.jpg

Hops for Surley Bender.JPG

Pre-boil.JPG

Mash.jpg

You must be in Washington somewhere. We're getting ours in Chicago tomorrow but since I work from home no bloody snow day for me! Guess I'll have to call in sick to brew tomorrow!

Had a brew day yesterday since there wasn't much else to do. Snow's still coming down like crazy here!

Finally stopped snowing about an hour ago. I think we got another 1.5 inches. Now for the impending freezing rain and then slush....

Any here are the final stages of the brew;

Missed the OG. Should've been 1.060, I got 1.054. Probably my batch sparge method, the instructions didn't specify and I've had decent success before. Either way it's beer, and from the initial taste a pretty d--n good one.

Chillin'.JPG

Temp out.JPG

Put to bed.JPG

Nice pics looks like fun. Im right across the water from ya in PO. All my chiller hoses are under 6" of snow, ice and slush. Hope I can get them thawed out and get a brew in this weekend.

Hey no offense, but to me a snow day is when I cannot find my truck on the driveway.

It looks like you got what we call a dusting. Oh well any excuse to brew is a good one.

Snow day in Western Wa just means no work :) cause most folks here can't drive in it. COSTCO was nice with only a dozen other people.:D

Latest posts

Back