Snap Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used one when I first started kegging, had the chest freezer w/ temp control but didn't have the shanks and stuff.

It worked well enough to drink beer. :)

You do get a half pint of foam on the first pour. If I was doing multi pints the next ones would only be about a quarter foam. I never messed with the psi so maybe I could have done better.

Thanks for the links, I have the quick disconnects and a faucet so $10 beats spending the full amount. I'd like to hear from some people if they like them or not, be great for parties instead of having all the extra hoses.

I use one all the time on my 2.5g keg that I take from place to place. It works well, but the pressure needs to be turned way down to avoid excessive foaming. It works well considering the cost (I had all the components laying around except for the adapter which was only a few bucks) but it would not be suitable for long term use. basically, its a fancy (and much less messy) picnic tap. I use it less now that I have received an Attach-a-Tap kit from a kickstarter that was around a bit ago, but its a useful thing to have around from time to time. If I am going to a buddy's house to hang out, I just transfer some beer into my 2.5 keg, throw it in the trunk with the spare co2 setup I have, and off we go.

Here is a picture of a set up I sometimes use:

photo.jpg

Cool. I'm looking to just get 2 for kegs for home brew competitions or parties. I have a party tap too but seems the beer gets too warm in the line and I have a shortened one that foams the beer up pretty good (probably also related to having the CO2 turned up too high). This just seemed like a good alternative

Cool. I'm looking to just get 2 for kegs for home brew competitions or parties. I have a party tap too but seems the beer gets too warm in the line and I have a shortened one that foams the beer up pretty good (probably also related to having the CO2 turned up too high). This just seemed like a good alternative

I think it would work just fine for that. keeping the keg cold and the pressure down helps. I think the last time I had the serving pressure turned down to 5 psi or so. Seemed to work well for the 2-3 hours I had it on tap.

Here is what I did: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=526857

In my opinion, you really need to use the perlick 650ss faucets to get a proper pour, which also means you need the specialized adapter, not the generic ones. They work well for sampling directly from the kegs (I used to have to bring in 6 ft of tubing with a disconnect and picnic tap into the walk-in to check on the aging kegs), as well as portable serving directly from the keg.

Ended up getting a few of the adapters and setups from Chi Company, just needed a quick setup hopefully they work well for me!

Just bought one too. PLan to use it Labor Day weekend, hope it works well. Instructions do say servicing pressure should be around 5 psi, so down.

If I force carbonate the keg, do I need to bleed the CO2 before attaching snap tap & setting to 5 psi?

I got 2 of them and they work pretty well. I would suggest at least burping it once or twice so you don't spray or foam out when you first open the tap.

I think I will definitely burp it a few times. I have it set at like 14 psi since last Thursday and its about carbonated. Just tried a pint and there is head. Looking to take this to a party on Thursday night. Plan to keep keg in some of kind tub with ice, since it pulls from bottom shouldn't have issue and will set CO2 to 4-5 psi with the Snap Tap. Really hope it works....

In the process of starting to keg and have been trying to figure out how to take the legs with me for fishing, this could be the perfect setup to run with a paintball tank in my boat

(Yes it's legal my boat is 100% human powered at the moment)

It worked pretty well to follow up. Put the CO2 at 4-5 psi, kept keg in a tub of ice, beer was cold, and depending on who was pouring there was minimal to average amount of foam. Once you figured the technique on how to pour since the tap is at a slightly different angle, foaming wasn't in issue ---- so more user error than the Snap Tap. Very convenient to use upon first try.

Back