sna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvtpublic

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Reaction score
What is SNA? I've seen it so many times in these forums but I don't know what it is.

Staggered Nutrient Additions - SNA
It means adding the nutrients in a series of stages usually in the 1st half of fermentation. This generally helps the yeast to achieve a greater biomass and better alcohol tolerance for complete fermentation which is particularly important for high ABV batches.

Staggered Nutrient Additions - SNA
It means adding the nutrients in a series of stages usually in the 1st half of fermentation. This generally helps the yeast to achieve a greater biomass and better alcohol tolerance for complete fermentation which is particularly important for high ABV batches.

Yes SNA is staggered nutrient additions, and aside from the high OG (ABV potential), honey is mostly void of nutrients especially Nitrogen (i.e. yeast energizer).

So SNA helps mead ferment faster, and healthier.

Degassing primary the first week of fermentation also helps speed up and make the environment less acidic.

Ken Schramm is the man who developed the SNA process.

Back