SN Kellerweis fermentation temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nisk916

Reaction score
I am going to brew a clone of the Sierra Nevada kellerweis tomorrow using yeast I harvested from a six pack. I think I may have the grain bill nailed, but am unsure of the fermentation temperature. I was thinking about 66-68 degrees. Anyone have any thoughts?

ForumRunner_20120210_194905.jpg

Cacaman said:
You can harvest yeast from commercial beers? :eek:

Yep! Plenty of yeast in those bottles! It's bottle conditioned and usually has a nice little layer of yeast in each bottle.

pabloj13 said:
Sounds like that's a good range based on this. Maybe around 65 to avoid rhino farts?

Great short thread. I am not getting any "Rhino fart" smell with my starter so far, but I may just be going it at 65. That thread also confirms my grain bill; VERY close recipe to mine. Should be good!

"Bavarian yeast" is pitched at 17 C, allowed to rise to 21 C for 5 d. Then it's chilled to -1 C for an additional 7 d in secondary. There's a bit of a description about how difficult it was for SN to get the flavors they wanted. One of the things they claimed was critical was an open fermentation regimen.

Hieronymous S. Brewing with Wheat: The 'Wit' and 'Weizen' of World Wheat Beer Styles. Boulder, CO: Brewers Publications, 2010, p. 98.

Thanks for the temp info. I heard about the open fermentation too, so I planned on doing a semi-open fermentation by leaving the lid widely cracked on the conical and covering it with cheesecloth.
I'm boiling now with 30 minutes left. I'll post updates on the fermentation and beer when done.

I also managed to cut and drill a keg today during the boil and chilling. Have two more to do this week.

ForumRunner_20120211_224511.jpg

are you certain the yeast you harvested is the primary fermentation hefeweizen yeast and not a lager strain added specifically for bottle conditioning after the primary has been filtered?

coz that's what's commonly done in german hefeweizens...

are you certain the yeast you harvested is the primary fermentation hefeweizen yeast and not a lager strain added specifically for bottle conditioning after the primary has been filtered?

coz that's what's commonly done in german hefeweizens...

It's the same yeast they use for fermentation. It's a strain taken from a small German brewery that isn't available to the public.

This yeast has been used by 100's of home brewers, including myself, with great success. It is very aggressive during fermintation.

I've used the yeast several times, and was very disappointed with it. I could never quite get the right flavor from it. I eventually gave up trying.

I will agree on the aggressive nature on this one. I pitched starter and had a small krausen in a few hours. When I checked this morning it was about 2-2.5 inches thick, and this is in a wide15 gallon conical.

Back