SN Celebration Ale Clone Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian,

I'm excited to see updates/your results as they come in - i plan on throwing this one together this fall.

I think I'm going to pull a gravity sample this afternoon so I'll have an idea how it tastes then. Then I'll rack to secondary sometime soon if it is at a good gravity and add the dry hops.

Flavor is spot-damn-on. This is MUCH closer than the last attempt. It's not just closer, it is SNCA. Mine tastes exactly like the real thing, even warm and flat, except that mine is slightly sweeter as it's still at about 1.020. I'm attempting to rouse and get it to attenuate a few more points but even if it doesn't....damn. This latest recipe is perfect. I don't even think it needs dry hops.

Brian, in your last iteration of the recipe, you've got the following hop schedule:

1.24 oz cascade @ 10
0.62 oz centennial @ 10
1.24 oz cascade @ FO
0.62 oz cascade @ FO
1 oz cascade DH
0.5 oz cascade DH

Did you intend for this to actually be?:

1.24 oz cascade @ 10
0.62 oz centennial @ 10
1.24 oz cascade @ FO
0.62 oz centennial @ FO
1 oz cascade DH
0.5 oz centennial DH

Oops, you're absolutely correct. I just changed the original post to reflect the correct hops. Thanks for the heads up!

Inquiring minds want to know Brian, how did this turn out? We are awfully close to the release of the '10 Celebration Ale.

One more, and it tastes dead on

Re: Dean Larson's SNCA

It is a great recipe. This was the one recommended from Denny:

Size: 11.5 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 210.65 per 12.0 fl oz
Boil: 75 minutes
Original Gravity: 1.063 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 12.5 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.22% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 49.95 (40.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:
24.0 lbs Standard 2-Row
2.0 lbs Crystal 60
1 lbs Carapils®/Carafoam®
2.0 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.5 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
2.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0 ea Servomyces - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
2.0 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
2.0 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:34:09 Mash In - Liquor: 8.44 gal; Strike: 162.3 °F; Target: 150.0 °F
01:34:09 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 60.0 min; Final: 154.0 °F
01:40:56 Mash Out - Heat: 6.8 min; Target: 168.0 °F
02:25:56 Sparge - Sparge: 7.43 gal sparge @ 170.0 °F, 12.69 gal collected, 45.0 min; Total Runoff: 13.01 gal

Notes:
1 Tsp Gypsum 60 Min

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.30

Kegged another copy of this one today, as good as always

Inquiring minds want to know Brian, how did this turn out? We are awfully close to the release of the '10 Celebration Ale.

I'm actually kegging it tonight. I've been waiting for a keg to open up and hoping it would attenuate a bit more in the meantime. Just took a gravity sample and sadly, it hasn't dropped since the last time.

The taste was really close the last time I tasted it. I would say this recipe will create something as close to the real thing as is possible using different equipment than SN. If it would have attenuated down to 1.016 or so, I'm not sure I could have picked out of a blind taste test with the real one. Unfortunately, this attempt is noticeably sweeter and I noticed some oxidation in tonights gravity sample. That is no doubt due to me rousing the hell out of it repeatedly trying to get it to attenuate down. The hop character has also dissipated some, and whereas my first taste test didn't need any dry hopping to match the real thing, it now needs some. It's still good though, and I will enjoy this keg. The extra sweetness won't be a problem once the outdoor temps drop and the slight oxidation doesn't detract too much from the beer.

I will definitely be doing this recipe again though. I had a rash of attenuation problems start at the same time as I started using an aeration stone with pure oxygen exclusively to aerate. I guess it wasn't getting enough O2 into solution for some reason. So now I'm back to shaking and using pure O2 to aerate and attenuation is back to normal. I think the next attempt will be just the thing to cure the withdrawal once this seasons SNCA runs out.

Brian. I have a thought or two on using pure O2 as I use it also. I'm not sure what your process is, but I will tell you my thinking and the process that has worked for me. If you think about the dynamics, just sinking an O2 stone and bubbling for a minute or so only exposes a limited amount of the wort to the O2 as it bubbles through the wort and then into the head space and out of the vessel.

I ferment in better bottles. Based on some stuff I have read, I drop the O2 stone to near the bottom of my carboy, then swirl the carboy in circles on a tennis ball while I am aerating. This gives a much greater volume of wort exposure to the O2 bubbling into it as well as picking up more in the head space due to the constant agitation. There is always new wort being exposed to the stream of O2 and the head space. I have gotten consistent good attenuation with this method.

This also matches what Jamil was saying during a Brew Strong podcast on aeration. The point of the bubbling is to get the wort on the top continuously exposed to oxygen by turning over the wort physically. The amount of oxygen dissolved at the point of bubbles is actually very minimal compared to what is required for "decent" levels of aeration. So, swirling to get the headspace's oxygen further into the wort makes sense, FWIW.

Alright, so I decided to do the recipe the brewer gave on the sunday session. Might as well since I have it now, right? Anyway, here's what it looks like for a 6 gallon batch at 80% efficiency. I've scaled the hop additions down from the 100 bbl batch he said they use but it wasn't giving me nearly enough bitterness, so I almost doubled the chinook addition in order to get the IBUs where he said they were. Everything else is scaled exactly to what he said they do at the brewery.

SNCA Clone (SN verified)

OG 1.068 -> FG 1.015
IBU 68

12.5 lbs 2-row pale malt (he mentioned they use canadian 2-row)
1.55 lbs british crystal 55 (he said c60, but also said british, which is usally 55L)

1.52 oz chinook @ 60 (directly scaled from his recipe it would be 0.77 oz, but that only gave me like 44 IBU for the beer)
1.24 oz cascade @ 10
0.62 oz centennial @ 10
1.24 oz cascade @ FO
0.62 oz centennial @ FO
1 oz cascade DH
0.5 oz centennial DH

He suggested mashing at 156 F!

Pitch chico yeast @ 62 F and let it rise and plateau at 68 F.

It's coming in over 10 SRM using that grain bill, so I'm pretty sure it's going to be too dark, but hopefully since it's the grain bill they use, the taste will be identical. Should be good!

Just a couple questions, because I will be brewing this this weekend:

Did you really mash at 156? Do you think that had anything to do with your 1.020 FG, or are you thinking it was strictly your aeration?

Also, is this recipe assuming 80% efficiency?

Thanks!!

I brewed this this morning, and I can't wait for it to be ready! When I went to the LHBS, they usually stock 2 brands of 2-row, and they were down to the last little bit of both. I ended up with 12 lbs of two row between the two brands, and topped off with 1 lb of golden promise (I'm at 75% eff, hence the additional grain).

Unfortunately, I didn't boil off as much as I did two weeks ago. It's been pretty mild weather up here in MN, and I ended up with 6.5 gallons rather than 6 so my numbers are a tad off. Also, my fermenter is really, really full. I put it in a swamp cooler to try to keep blowoff to a minimum, and rigged up a second rate blow off hose.

All in all, I was pitched and cleaned up by 10am! Color looks good so far, and the wort sample tasted great. I'll post updates as I get them.

I'm going to bottle on Saturday, and I'll let you know how it tastes warm and uncarbed. I just dryhopped and took a gravity reading this past Sunday (3 weeks in primary) and it tasted good. Not as rich as the real deal, but maybe a carbed up, cold bottle will be closer in a few weeks. For what it's worth, my control beer was of the 2008 vintage. I plan on getting some 2010 to do a comparison when mine's ready.

Any updates on this stuff, I'm curious about this recipe.

The recipe that I used is hopped up quite a bit more in flavor and aroma hops and also has some munich malt in it but made for a fantastic beer that I like better than Celebration if that is possible. Also one me a 1st place in a BJCP comp.

Humman, Did you post it?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.77 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 77.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
19.10 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.40 %
1.36 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.87 %
1.36 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.87 %
0.68 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.93 %
0.68 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2.93 %
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (85 min) Hops 35.4 IBU
2.00 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 6.7 IBU
4.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (15 min) Hops 28.5 IBU
4.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
4.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 23.18 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Saccharification Add 36.00 qt of water at 160.9 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

Just picked up this years celebration ale at the store... I had forgotten how amazing this beer is for a winter ale. Was listening to a Jamil Show archive and they were talking about a SNCA clone and it got me super stoked to make one myself

ok, I'll be that guy...
any chance of anyone having an extract version of this recipie?

thanks in advance

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.77 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 77.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
19.10 lb Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 82.40 %
1.36 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.87 %
1.36 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.87 %
0.68 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.93 %
0.68 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2.93 %
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (85 min) Hops 35.4 IBU
2.00 oz Chinook [11.00 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 6.7 IBU
4.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] (15 min) Hops 28.5 IBU
4.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
4.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [StartYeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 23.18 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Saccharification Add 36.00 qt of water at 160.9 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

Mmmm...22oz of hops :) Sounds great!!

Looking for an AG SN Celebration clone recipe if anyone has something that they believe to be damn close. I am in love with this beer and want to make copious amounts of this year round. I did a search on google and the recipe data base and really didn't find anything that seemed to be a solid recipe.

Check this out. http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k546/andy_matthews1/CelebrationAle.jpg

We did a side by side comparison and my friend said he could tell a slight difference, but preferred mine. Of course he was a friend so that could have swayed his judgement. :)

Just picked up this years celebration ale at the store... I had forgotten how amazing this beer is for a winter ale. Was listening to a Jamil Show archive and they were talking about a SNCA clone and it got me super stoked to make one myself

Yep, I remembered and that is why I made it over the summer so I wouldn't have to wait any longer :)

Mmmm...22oz of hops :) Sounds great!!

yep, sure does

Check this out.
CelebrationAle.jpg

We did a side by side comparison and my friend said he could tell a slight difference, but preferred mine. Of course he was a friend so that could have swayed his judgement. :)

thought I'd help ya out

This is the recipe that you can't tell the difference. I've tried several, but this is it.

Hey DHB,

Can I simply halve these ingredients for a 5 gallon batch? I know that the grain should be alright, but how about the hops?

While looking through some other recipes that claim to be Dean Larson's SNCA, I noticed that despite the batch size, the 1 tsp gypsum remained the same. Should I use 1 tsp no matter the batch size?

Also, you're using whole hops with this recipe, correct?

Thanks for any help guys!

Peace.

Mine is on tap right now. Side by side there is unquestionably a difference, but I am certainly not pointing to the recipe as the problem. I have had trouble with my IPA's at times with the hop profiles. It came out very nice, but not Celebration. It lacked the hop flavor and aroma, and the FG was a bit high. Only about a gallon left regardless.

Hey DHB,

Can I simply halve these ingredients for a 5 gallon batch? I know that the grain should be alright, but how about the hops?

While looking through some other recipes that claim to be Dean Larson's SNCA, I noticed that despite the batch size, the 1 tsp gypsum remained the same. Should I use 1 tsp no matter the batch size?

Also, you're using whole hops with this recipe, correct?

Thanks for any help guys!

Peace.

To me the addition of gypsum depends on your water. My water is totally too hard, so I have to build the water up from RO. It is for whole cone hops.

For 5.5 gallons @ 73% Eff

13.25 # 2-row
1# crystal 60
1.25 oz Chinook @ 60min
.65 oz @ 30min
.50 oz Centennial @ 0min
.50 oz Centennial dry hop 7 days
.50 oz Cascade dry hop 7 days
Wyeast 1056 or any Chico yeast
Mash @ 152 for 60min
OG - 1.068
FG 1.016
68 IBU

Denny Conn gave me this Larson Christmas Tree Celebration clone. I used the recipe KingBrian used and mine needed some cleared bitterness. I had to use older hops and am on a new system, so it needs some adjusting, but really close. I would mash @ 154. This is a great thread on Celebration.

The recipe from human brewing looks like a SN Anniversary Ale recipe. Yum if it is. I liked it better than Celebration. I can't find my notes so if you look back in the thread you can use Brian's hop schedule. Most of it came directly from Steve the brewer @ SN. Brew it and see where you are and make adjustments for your equipment. Hope this helps.

Well I'm somewhat settled now after the move to the new house and the holidays. Time to take my stab at SNCA again. It has been cool reading all the posts in this thread and it looks like it is mostly dialed in. My attempt last year was a slightly hopped down version of Tasty McDoles and it was darn close to SNCA and took me 3rd in a local BJCP comp. I will be doing a slightly retweaked version of it again this year. I see Humann Brewing went with pretty much Tasty's version. It's hard to go wrong following a Tasty McDole recipe, that is for certain!

It looks like King Brian was darn close as well, but had some fermentation issues. Brian, I went with a mash at 154 last year and was happy with the results. Even though the brewer mentioned 156, that can be one of those things that must be tweaked on a home system.

At any rate love reading about all the adventures brewing my favorite beer. Keep the posts coming and I will add mine once I get her up and running. First brew at a new house that isn't quite organized yet, so wish me luck.

I plugged in the recipe into Beer Smith and this is the extract recipe it gave me. There are no specialty grains, it's just LME. Which I think is just weird.

Any thoughts?

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 3.82 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 9.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
10.78 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 100.0 %
1.25 oz Chinook [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 32.1 IBU
0.65 oz Chinook [13.00%] (30 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 11.77 lb

i brewed it but was never able to find celebration to buy...i dont visit the beer stores that much, and the few times i always stop in, there sold out.

The beer i brewed was good, but it wasnt much of a ipa compared to others

Anyone? I'm ready to pull the trigger if it looks OK.

I did notice the IBU's are low.

You definitely want to steep a pound of crystal 60 or 80 to get the color and maltiness. Light LME alone would not make it similar to SNCA. If I were doing this extract, I would skip the carapils and just steep a pound of C60 or C80. Also, according to Beer Smith, your hop schedule should give you 62 IBUs. You may want to bump the IBUs up a bit, but it's not too far off.

Back