Smooth Sail'n Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm done with kits...at leased for a while. I've done a little research and came up with a simple recipe on my own. My plan is to brew it a while untill I can consistently get the same results. Since this is my first scratch recipe I figured I'd put it out there for critique before I brew it. You, collectively, and most signally, know more than I... so here it is:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
2.00 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 49.7 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (2 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.33 %
Bitterness: 51.8 IBU
Calories: 239 cal/pint
Est Color: 10.2 SRM

Suggestions? Comments?

the_bird said:
Personally, I'd swap the Amarillo and NB. Amarillo's as wonderful a flavor/aroma hop as there is.

I suppose that would work, they're similar in acid %. What makes the Amarillo better than the NB? (I seriously couldn't tell you the difference)

It's just a different flavor; grapefruity and fresh and citrusy, mostly. NB can be a bit harsh, if you use to much. If you love "domestic" hops, Amarillo's just a great example of that.

I'm drinking my latest pale ale (it's in the database, I think I'm calling it "We Must PROTECT THIS HOUSE-Pale Ale", flavot and aroma is split 50/50 with Amarillo and Cascade. REALLY nice, if I do say so... :D

the_bird said:
It's just a different flavor; grapefruity and fresh and citrusy, mostly. NB can be a bit harsh, if you use to much. If you love "domestic" hops, Amarillo's just a great example of that.

I'm drinking my latest pale ale (it's in the database, I think I'm calling it "We Must PROTECT THIS HOUSE-Pale Ale", flavot and aroma is split 50/50 with Amarillo and Cascade. REALLY nice, if I do say so... :D

I love the name... I can picture a label with a close up head on view of a double barrel shotgun.

Seabee John said:
I'm done with kits...at leased for a while. I've done a little research and came up with a simple recipe on my own. My plan is to brew it a while untill I can consistently get the same results. Since this is my first scratch recipe I figured I'd put it out there for critique before I brew it. You, collectively, and most signally, know more than I... so here it is:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
2.00 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 49.7 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (2 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Real quick question: can you get amber malt, or are you going to make it yourself? I have been reading that it's not available because maltsters do not produce it anymore.

Jason

Back