smoky oaky malty beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschaf

Reaction score
Basically, has anyone tried a dark Scottish Ale like wee heavy that has been oaked as well, if so how is it? Have been looking for a good extract/partial mash recipe for a deep malty, smoky beer, and was wondering about oaking it in secondary and how that would go. I'm not familiar with brewing darker malty beers and am just looking for a good base on this one, as well as oak in the secondary advice. Any advice would be cool.

I just brewed an Oaked IPA a month ago, I used 1 oz medium+ oak cubes 1 week in primary and the same for 2 weeks in secondary. It's still aging but right now the oak flavor is present but not overwhelming. I'd start in that range.

that's a good guide,thanks. IPA is another style I'd like to try. Are you doing an English style IPA with that? Any recipe suggestions? thanks anyway.

Also I don't know if you can get it in Michigan, but there's a beer here called Devil's Canyon Full Boar that's a smoky Scottish ale that I swear has notes of bacon that may be what you're looking for.

SWMBO says it's the best I've brewed, but she says that at least half the time. I'm really happy with it, I've been trying to keep my hands off it until 6 weeks.

Back