Smoking your own malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
A buddy of mine runs a BBQ joint and offered to smoke some malt for me if I wanted to make a smoked beer. He said he could hot or cold smoke it for me. Any recommendations on which smoking technique is better for malt and for how long to smoke it? I'm thinking of doing a smoked porter with maybe 2 of my 8lb of base malt being smoked. Enough that it's there but not overwhelming. I want it to be a component, not the only thing you taste.

I conditioned with distilled water and smoked mine for 2 hours with white oak, and a single chunk of mesquite, in a 13.75lb grain bill I had one pound of smoked 2 row and the smoke flavor is quite noticable in the finished beer. I use an offset smoker and put the grain on a stainless screen bent like a cookie sheet. if I recall the temp was about 200°. were I to do it again I would use pecan wood and maybe smoke for 1-1.5 hours to lighten up the smoke flavor.

I think im gonna try to smoke some malt this summer using alder wood to brew an alaskan smoked porter type beer.

Back