Smoking mountain lion meat???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job on dumping that cat. They are decimating the elk herd in North America. I wish you had killed 50 of them.

I still eat Jimmy Johns, so I'm basically a big game hunter!

On a serious note. I dont really know how lean this meat is, but I wonder if treating it more turkey would work out good? Brine, and then smoke it hot (~350F) and fast!? No water bowl.

Ive never eaten Cat or Dog as far as I know but I have eaten bear quite a few times.
I will do it again too. I really enjoy them in the fall when they have been out eating in grain crops.
Ken.

No experience, but I think it'd be pretty lean and easy to dry out. I'd braise it at a high heat in your smoker. 350+

I would treat mountain lion like a very lean bear. Lots of bringing and regular mopping.

I've never had it, but a few people I know have and they mixed it .3/.3/.3 lion/bear/pork to get more fat involved as well as 50/50 Lion and pork.

Well I finally got around to cooking my lion meat. Turned out really good. I did four small roasts and ground the trim meat into polish sausages.
I brined the roasts for about 12 hrs then dry rubbed and let rest in the fridge for about 8 hrs while the sausage smoked. Smoked at 225 For about 3 hrs then wrapped in foil and finished to final temp in the oven. Weather wasn’t great for my smoker being about 15 degrees and windy and I needed to be sure to hit temps to kill any bugs. I kinda over shot the temp and dried it out a bit but it’s still great. Sliced it thin and vacuum packed it for later. It really is a lot like pork. If I told you it was a pork tenderloin you would believe me.
The trim meat was mixed with some pork, seasoned and stuffed as normal. It also turned out great. My wife commented that I shouldn’t have made it taste so good or her brother will want me to do this every year.
While I was at it, I brined and smoked an elk roast at the same time. Pulled it out of the smoker at medium rare, rested it and let it half freeze sitting outside to cool. I sliced it super thin. This will make a great appetizer and will be a big hit at Christmas. I’ll definitely be doing more of this. With a freezer full of elk the possibilities are endless.
Thanks to everyone for their recommendations and don’t be afraid of lion meat, it’s quite tasty.

Roasts before going into the smoker. I used two different rubs is why they are different colors.
IMG_3746.JPG

Polish sausage.
IMG_3747.JPG

Finished product.
IMG_3748.JPG

Ready for another day.
IMG_3750.JPG

Cougar meat is great, and does indeed resemble pork. However - and it’s a big however - you MUST cook it to 160F to ensure you kill the trichinosis spores. That is not something you want to contract. Google it.

And apologies for digging up an old ish thread, but I skimmed thru and didn’t see anything about cooking temp and wanted to throw this out there.

Cougar meat is great, and does indeed resemble pork. However - and it’s a big however - you MUST cook it to 160F to ensure you kill the trichinosis spores. That is not something you want to contract. Google it.

And apologies for digging up an old ish thread, but I skimmed thru and didn’t see anything about cooking temp and wanted to throw this out there.

Well this was a gem of a thread I forgot about yet is fitting since we got a pair of cougars living near the two Elementary schools near my home and people are in an uproar (on either side of the debate).

As for cooking to 160f, that's right, cook until a steady internal temp of 160f throughout the meat, also just like you would with bear and pork since both also carry the same bug.

Back