Smoking Meat in Winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefMichael01

Reaction score
Evening yall:

I would like to do a smoke a brisket and a pork butt this weekend on my Weber kettle grill however the weather here is going to be in the 30s. I wanted to see what people have used to insulate the grill. I've heard of aluminum bubble insulation (without plastic in it) and/or a welding blanket. Any tips that have worked for others would be great. Also, if you have an online retailer that provides this it would be appreciated as I live in Manhattan and have minimal access to a large, fully stoked Home Depot-type supply store.

Thanks.

I am assuming you want a hot smoke. If you keep that thing stoked I wouldn't see why it would be a big issue, if you see my point. The other route you can go is to worry less about the temperature, start the meat early in the morning and finish it in a low oven. The colder the smoke the longer the time frame for penetration, but if you stay up at a relatively hot temperature you should be fine for this type of endeavor.

When I lived in Missouri we used to smoke year round...the biggest issue in the winter we found was blocking the wind. Some plywood and a couple folding chairs was all we used.

Another useful thing that you will find in various forms for different shapes and styles of smokers is an electric heating element.

Brinkmann Electric Converter For Charcoal Smokers - Barbecue Accessories - Brinkmann Smokers

The one we had we'd only use in extreme cold, it wasn't a permanent conversion. We just stuck it in the charcoal pan.

Thanks guys. My main concern is not necessarily keeping the fuel source hot, but maintaining a stable radiant heat within the smoker. I'm going to go with some of the foil insulation and see what levels I can maintain.

Likely will end up putting a good 8 or 10 hour smoke on the meat then throwing it in a 200 degree oven for another 10 hours (I've done this before and if your oven can maintain the temp, a brisket wrapped in foil will be a moist and tender but not like a pot roast or a hard smoked pulled pork).

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I grill and smoke year 'round and don't have much of a problem. The biggest concern is like Revvy said, block the wind, this could make the fire hotter or colder depending on how much of your coals are burning. Just keeps your temps good and enjoy the process.

Back