Smoking Country Style Pork Ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
I got a new smoker for christmas and after smoking three chickens for christmas yesterday, which were absolutely awesome, I am going to do some country style ribs today.

Basically just big meaty sections of meat from the rib cut that aren't on a rack. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on smoking these.

My plan is just to smoke them at around 225 for about 3-4 hours, then put them over direct charcoal heat to crisp them up.

Just looking for any extra advice from you grill masters. Thank you very much!

I started smoking about three years ago when my father in law gave me a stand up propane smoker. My favorite thing to smoke is ribs and I have found that my favorite technique is to always smoke the ribs as low as possible (175-215) for about five to six hours. I like to use either cherry or apple chips, dried and I change the chips out about halfway through or as necessary depending on heat and your smoker. I usually marinate my rips in either bbq sauce or brown sugar and pineapple the night before.

i love the country style ribs. dry rub em with some pepper, paprika, sea salt, some sugar, and a pinch on thyme. let em set for 4-6hrs then smoke em low and slow for at least 4hrs then if desired finish em on the grill for criping on the outside.

Yeah I made a killer dry rub and they have been just sitting on the counter sucking that stuff in for about 3 hours. They just went on and I am thinking I may do edwort's method. He smokes them for about 3 hours, puts some brown sugar and honey on tin foil, then wraps them in that for about an hour. He then grill's them direct until they get all delicious and crispy.

That sounds damn good to me.

I just got a side firebox for my chargriller and tried it out sunday. I did the same method I used before but they came out better with the heat\wood in the side firebox instead of just pushed off to the side.

I let the ribs get close to room temp and rub (b. sugar, seal salt, paprika, b. pepper, crushed coriander and a little cinnamon) them and let sit for a while (hour or 2). Then smoke for 2-3 hours with some hickory (this time I used some cherry) then pull off and but in a pan with butter, apple cider, brown sugar and cover. put back on for 1-1.5 hours. Some times I put my homemade sauce on and put over direct heat for a little bit to crisp them up.

The bones pull right out of them, the meat is tender and juicy...delicious!

FYI...here's another thread on ribs: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/smokin-ribs-109987/

If your time and temps are right, your ribs will have a "bark" when finished. No need to use the direct grilling at the end.

You should only wrap in foil if you like mushy meat.

I have the smoker with the firebox on the side lower than the main portion and just do the slow and low method with a rubbed meat. I have been filling a pan with half apple juice, half water below the meat lately and works good. I am hoping to do some spare ribs new years day.

You're exactly right...people I cook them for enjoy them but I'm not a huge fan. I have tried the straight smoking method once and they turned out tough. Maybe I need to try it again now that I have the side box but I have been thinking of cutting back my "foil" time.

To be honest, I dont really like eating ribs that much. I LOVE the BBQing process (drinking, watching the BBQ, etc) and having others enjoy them but I can do without the eating part.

Oh perhaps one of the best things to do on the weekend is smoke and brew... great combo! My process for smoking ribs (depending on time) is a full smoke and perhaps an 30mins to an hour in the grill (wrapped in foil). To avoid drying out the ribs I found that when I check water/coals I will mop the ribs with some sauce... this of course increases the cook time anytime you break that seal; but it can help keep the dryness at bay.

Oh and my favorite recipe to cook is my own version of this: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html
As I say my own version... all recipes you get from the net you should make your own with your own personal flavors (garlic and spices for me).

I just picked up a jar of dizzy pig dizzy dust course grind. I cant wait to pick up some ribs or a pork loin.

Basically just big meaty sections of meat from the rib cut that aren't on a rack. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on smoking these.

Country style ribs are a combo of the blade end of the loin and the transition into the shoulder aka pork butt.

When smoking, I treat them just like little pork butts. I've also cut up pork butt into country style ribs so that they don't take so long to smoke and have more bark surface.

Otherwise, sounds like you're having fun! :mug:

Good call on that clarification, I totally made up the info on where the actual cut comes from! I got 5 ribs that came out to be around 3 pounds, and smoked them for about 4 hours. I did a dry rub and smoked them for around 3 hours, then put them in tin foil with honey and brown sugar for another hour. The whole time I was smoking at right around 225.

I really need to do a little research on some techniques. The pork was definitely very tasty, but I would have liked to have had them a little more tender. Also they didn't have that really nice char on the outside that is so tasty. I put them over direct heat for about 5 minutes a side before serving, but I want to look into this "bark" that I now see is what makes the best ribs so good.

Thanks for any help or info. After years of smoking on a black weber kettle grill, I'm having a tough time using a real smoker, but I think once I get it dialed in I am really going to like it.

On another note, just tapped sacharomyces recipe for Imperial Honey Porter tonight, jesus folks, brew it, absolutely amazing recipe.

Now help me with my smoking!

A couple things:

Don't go by time, use a meat thermometer. Pull the meat at 190-ish depending, wrap in a towel and let it sit in a cooler for about an hour. This allows the meat to soak up the yummy juices.

If you want a bark, do not wrap in foil. Use of foil makes everything soggy.

Question: how often did you open the lid to check things out?

Rub them and then smoke at 225 for 4-6 hrs (this is for a slab I normaly just do slabs) and that's it .:D

I only opened the smoker maybe 3 times the entire time I was smoking. I found that every time I open the grill I lose about 100 degrees. I like tender fall off the bone ribs, but I also like a good caramelized char on the outside. I'm going to have to look at the smoke ring website.

From my experience, once you foil the bark is gone. You can finish on a hot grill after the foil, or even use a torch, but this just burns the surface. Not the same as bark, not even close.

Did someone say ribs?!?! I LOOOOOVE me some Baby Backs! :rockin:

bbq1.jpg

bbq2.jpg

bbq3.jpg

bbq4.jpg

bbq8.jpg

Sauced up and ready to go!

bbq5.jpg

Big fan of pulled pork butts as well!

bbq7.jpg

Don't go by time, use a meat thermometer.

Excellent advise! I HIGHLY recommend this one - http://tinyurl.com/yjmrykw Will monitor both your meat and the temperature of the smoker. In addition, as you can see in my above pic, I use an analog thermometer in the vent of the dome. Proper temp control is the single most important aspect of smoking as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck on your cook and welcome to the wonderful world of BBQ!

In fact, this post just inspired me to pull a vacuum sealed bag of pulled pork out of the freezer!

-David

I want a WSM. Still using my ECB and it makes good BBQ but I have to babysit it for the whole smoke.

It's great way to blow a sunny Saturday! :D

If your time and temps are right, your ribs will have a "bark" when finished. No need to use the direct grilling at the end.

Why? Is this the technique that makes them "fall off the bone"?

The meat will fall of the bone when all the connective tissue is rendered into liquid. Any collagen or ligature is slow cooked and renders down into juices. Just give the rib tip a little twist from time to time and it should loosen right up when cooked long and slow.

Why? Is this the technique that makes them "fall off the bone"?
IMO, ribs should not 'fall off the bone'. They should be very 'fork tender' inside but should still have enough texture to hang on to the bone to some degree and should have that 'bark' Arturo mentioned. One way to get that is to do the slow-cooking and then chill...then finish on the grill. That way the gelatin can 'set' before you finish them. But it's all personal preference, cook/eat it how you like it.:mug:

Country ribs are best when grilled like pork chops over oak coals and then set off the heat with the lid closed for 45 minutes. I want to go on record with this.

"Fall off the bone" is overcooked ribs.

For KCBS or MBN, sure.

For people who like to drink beer and cook ribs in the back yard, fall-off-the-bone is pretty good. It's like comparing all-grain to partial mash or extract brewing. Cook food, eat it, enjoy it.

I took some ribs over to an old family friend last year and he said "Fletch... let me tell you something... I know it's a good rib when I don't have to put my teeth in to pull it off the bone".

Granted, he's originally from Jacksonville Florida, but that aside.. to each his reach and if I don't cop it ain't mine to have and I love you CC.

If you want it falling off the bone, God Bless You.

I like my ribs to fall off the bone, but just barely...if that makes sense. The meat is very tender, you don't have to fight with it, but it still has a bit of "tooth." That means low and slow, but not forever. I use one big chunk of smoking wood set on top of a pile of lump charcoal. That usually results in a good smoke for the first hour or two followed by another 2-4 hours of low heat (i.e., great smoke flavor but not overpowering). Pull them when the racks are flexible and a pair of pliers will loosen a rib bone with just a bit of effort. I get good bark this way, but I also like to caramelize them with a glaze of sweet BBQ sauce over direct heat for just a few minutes (literally, 3-4 minutes) to finish them off.

I prefer spare ribs, but I imagine a similar technique could be successful with country ribs. I have a feeling it'll be easy to dry them out, though.

ribsegg.jpg

ribscut.jpg

Back