Smoking and Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildactbrewer

Reaction score
Let me first start by saying I am NOT trying to preach here! This was just a simple observation from my personal experience that I wanted to share. I am a firm believer that people should do what they want.

Quitting tobacco cigarettes will greatly increase your sense of smell and taste! I finally quit after 15 years and noticed that I could pick up on subtle flavors in beers that I had been drinking for years. When I was smoking, I could not detect citrus notes, hop flavor, or anything that was not pronounced in the beer. Literally, 4 days of not smoking and a whole new world of flavors was available to my palate!

Once again, not preaching here, but if you are a smoker like I was you may want to give it a try and see what you've been missing out on! Food tastes better too!

I quit,a couple years ago, after nearly 20 years of smoking. The difference is amazing. It took a long time for me, though. When I first quit nothing tasted good. It made me wonder if I would ever enjoy eating or drinking anything again, but when my taste buds finally came around, wow, it certainly was 100% better!:tank:

+1 I quit 2 months ago and I'm amazed how much more I can taste/smell in such a short time. It's also nice to be able to run more than a block without getting winded.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I quit about 7 months ago after smoking for 35 years.

Amazing how much more I can smell or taste...and no more f'ing burn holes in my clothes!

I can say the same about chewing tobacco. I quit 6 months ago after 18 years an what a difference it makes. I can smell things I never noticed before and taste is night an day different.

Me too,I like a cig with my beer. Always did. But I can still taste subtlties in beers. I guess it comes from cooking for so long.

After about a year of not smoking the urge to smoke while drinking all but disappeared. You have to re-train your body that you don't need to smoke while drinking.

i give up the smokes awhile back, my sense of taste has not changed tho, always had good taste buds and sniffer. i still smoke a cigar when brewing and maybe a crafty cigerette with a beer when the wife is not looking.

I quit a few years ago. I promised myself I wouldn’t become a ‘born again’ non-smoker, being very intolerant of smoke.

As more establishments go non-smoking, the smokers flee to the last few remaining holdouts. As people quit smoking, they seek out non-smoking bars.

This has resulted in a coarsening of my favorite bar. The people in there are not just smoking, they’re chain smoking. The staff seems to have given up on providing ventilation. Over the years my tolerance for smoke has gone way down. When I walk in the place my eyes turn red and my throat constricts. I know I’m going to wake up with a cough.

I don’t think my perception of flavors has changed much, but my sensitivity has. I can smell perfume six feet away, a cigarette at fifty feet. I will NOT sit in a drive through anything.

Congratulations to all the quitters. It gets better. I’d sooner kiss a tailpipe than smoke anything at all.

Back