Smoked weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploppythesausage

Reaction score
Howdy! I'm a huge fan of Schlenkerla rauchbiers, however the weizen and the urbock aren't always available. I also love a good weizenbock so I'm looking at advise on brewing a weizenbock using extracts and some bamberg rauchmalt.
Has anyone got any advise on how to go about doing this.
I don't have a 5 gallon pot but have some success splitting my batch into 2 roughly 1.5g pots and topping up the FV with cold water.
Would it be possible for me to do a weizenbock extract recipe and in the FV mix it with some rauchmalt that I have steeped and boiled on its own to top up the volume.
Any ideas, recipes, etc would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm not aware of an easy answer when it comes to making a Rauch from extract. Rauch malt needs to be mashed and is not real intense so even doing a mini-mash with a pound or two may not yield the results you're looking for.

I did just have an idea. You'll need a charcoal grill, some type of screen and rice hulls. Soak some rice hulls in water, lay them on a screen and place them in the grill. You'll just need a small fire going opposite of the hulls and feed it damp wood chips. Stir the rice hulls every 15 minutes or so until they're dry. Then all you need to do is steep the rice hulls to impart a smokey flavor.

You'll have to be careful on how much smoked hulls to use. I'm sure an ounce of hulls is going to be way more intense then an ounce of smoked grain. I need more time to think about this process.

Thanks for the feedback. At this moment in time smoking some hulls would be more hassle for me to do than a full mash using every pot I have in the house.
I understand though that using extract + rauchmalt wouldn't be as smoky as a real Rauchbier, but a hint of smokiness I think will work well in the style.
I'm going to to try steeping around 1kg of rauchmalt - split into two batches. So I'll do maybe 1.5 gallons steeped with 500g smoked malt then boiled and added to the fermenter. The other 500g I'll steep and then boil with the rest of my wheat extract and hops. I'll add this to my fermenter, wait to cool and pitch a wiezen yeast.

As I'll not be brewing another beer until after the new year I've been thinking more and more about this recipe. At the moment it looks like it's going to be a peat-smoked whisky wheat beer :p

I'm thinking of around 3kilos of wheat malt extract and about 250g of peat malt steeped.
Perhaps a chocolate malt to darken it too.
For yeast and hops I was thinking of munich weizen yest and something like tettnanger to bitter, or maybe saaz.
Then aged on whisky soaked oak chips with some of it then further aged on raspberries.

Might sound odd but why not just get the smoke flavor by using a little bit of liquid smoke seasoning?

812548.jpg

I'd probably add it right at flameout.

Rev.

Weyermann does make a smoke extract HERE. Check out the wholesalers tab or call direct.

Here's my all grain recipe for a good rauchbier.

98% Weyermann Smoked, 2% Weyermann Carafa II Special dehusked, Hallertau, and WLP820.

You would think that the above recipe would be too smokey, but i would say its about 50% as smokey as Schlenkela Marzen, and nowhere near the Urbock. The reason, i read somewhere that Schlenkerla does not use the Weyermann rauchmalt (a pilsner malt) that we get here, but a proprietary smoked munich malt that is much smokier.

You could also try using Briess Cherrywood, maybe it will impart more smoke to the final product. Check out this THREAD.

Back