smoked malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meltroha

Reaction score
I have never used smoked malt before, and would like to use 2.4% in an imperial porter. I have two questions: 1. is that enough, using 6.7% crystal 80 & 4.4% each chocolate and roast malt? 2. can I add oak chips and bourbon, or would that not play well with the smoked malt?

meltroha said:
I have never used smoked malt before, and would like to use 2.4% in an imperial porter. I have two questions: 1. is that enough, using 6.7% crystal 80 & 4.4% each chocolate and roast malt? 2. can I add oak chips and bourbon, or would that not play well with the smoked malt?

You're going to need way more than 2.4% to get any sort of flavor contribution. I've brewed a couple brown ales with smoked malt and I started at 12% and eventually moved up to 20% and it could still use more.

I'd probably dial in the smoke before I started adding a bunch of other flavors, but that's just me.

It really depends on what kind of smoked malt. Is it peat smoked? Briess cherrywood smoked? Wyermann Rauchmalt? Best Maltz rauchmalt? All of these have very different levels of smoke.

Changed to 19%, also put the bourbon and oak chips in the recipe, unless I hear differently

10 lb 8.0 oz - Pale Malt (2 Row) 10 lb 8.0 oz - Pale Malt (2 Row) … … Mash addition (66.7%) - 3.0 SRM Mash addition (66.7%) - 3.0 SRM

8.0 oz - Black (Patent) Malt 8.0 oz - Black (Patent) Malt Mash addition (3.2%) - 500.0 SRM Mash addition (3.2%) - 500.0 SRM

1 lb - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L Mash addition (6.3%) - 80.0 SRM Mash addition (6.3%) - 80.0 SRM

12.0 oz - Chocolate Malt 12.0 oz - Chocolate Malt Mash addition (4.8%) - 350.0 SRM Mash addition (4.8%) - 350.0 SRM

3 lb - Smoked Malt - Smoked Malt Mash addition (19.0%) - 9.0 SRM Mash addition (19.0%) - 9.0 SRM

In a beer like that, i doubtyou'll taste 19% Weyermann's. 40% probably.

Personally, I like 50-100%.

Back