smoked malt suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octoflab

Reaction score
i have a recipe that calls for 4 oz of peat smoked malt and the lhbs that i prefer to go to only carries Weyermann beechwood smoked malt. if some of you guys with smoked malt experience could give me an idea of how much to sub for the peat smoked to get into the general area of smokiness i would greatly appreciate it! :mug:
I'm not terribly concerned about having to replace a large portion of the MO with the smoked malt that i think i might need to use. if you guys think tossing some victory in there or something like that would help keep the recipe closer to what it's supposed to be, i'm open to suggestions on that stuff as well.

5 gallon batch

9 lb Pale Malt (Maris Otter)
4 oz Peat Smoked Malt
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
4 oz Chocolate Malt info
4 oz Black Patent Malt

1 oz Columbus @ 60 mins
1 oz Sterling @ flameout

OG 1.061
FG 1.016

Peat smoked malt is a totally different flavor compared to beechwood smoked malt. I used a pound I think in a pumpkin ale this fall and you couldn't even pick it up. I used a pound of peat smoked malt in a beer over the summer and there is no mistaking that it has peat smoked flavor.

I would say hold off on the recipe till you can get peat smoked malt because you will end up with a completely different beer.

well i can't honestly say that i'm happy to hear that. i was really hoping that the flavor that comes from those malts was fairly similar with different amounts of smokiness. would anything like liquid smoke possibly come close at all?

well i do appreciate your responses even if they aren't what i wanted to hear. since i'm pretty insistant on doing my business with the lhbs that i have been going to though, about how much of the beechwood smoked malt would be needed to detect some smoked flavor in something like a typical porter or stout that's in the neighborhood of 1.060 OG?

The only beer I have ever dumped after 5
Months of patient waiting, hoping it would come around was a beer I used a .25lb of peat malt. Not a flavor profile I guess.

Back