Smoked malt ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosmur

Reaction score
I just got a bag of smoked malt. Iam trying to find some inspiration for what to do with it. Anyone have any good ideas? I dont want anything with alcohol over around 6% though.

Make a smoked porter. The one in my profile is amazing. It uses a few oz of peat smoked malt. To use one of the milder smoked malts like I suspect you have, eliminate the peat malt and use your smoked malt in place of 5 pounds or so of the base malt.

You could also look into making gratzer. I believe that style uses smoked wheat, but you could probably do something similar with your grain. Rauschbier is always a popular use of smoked malt as well.

Thanks, will give it a crack.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What kind of smoked malt? If it's peat, toss it in the garbage. If it's Briess, use it 30% in a recipe; any recipe. If it's Weyermann, use it as your 90% base malt.

If you can find it Fort Collins Brewery has an "Out of the Ashes" series of beers that are all smoked. They are limited release so might be hard to find, but could give you some ideas. The smoked Marzen should still be on shelves and the smoked IPA is going to be released on June 13th.

I second the smoked porter idea given earlier. Although it may take some time to get good. I bottled mine back in Jan and it is just starting to get good. It was a heavy porter, 8.6% ABV, secondary on vanilla and oak chips. I used smoked malt, Weyermann, for 40% of my grain bill and wish I had used more.

Back