Smoked Imperial Porter Recipe for comment/suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

fan1cowboys

Reaction score
I am relatively new to brewing but have brewed 6 times over the last few months and am just now finding that my brews are turning out great. As my understanding of the brewing process has grown I have found the desire to brew an original recipe.

I want to brew a Smoked Imperial Porter.

6 lbs. Light dry malt extract
6 lbs. Light malt extract syrup
6 oz. Black Patent
6 oz. Chocolate
8 oz. Crystal 40L
6 oz. Peated malt
4 oz. Roasted barley
8 oz. CaraPils

2 oz. Fuggles (60 min)
1 oz. East Kent Goldings (5 min)

OG est. 1.100 FG est. 1.025 IBU 37 ABV est 9.7%

I'm not sure about the yeast leaning toward Wyeast British ale 1098 or Wyeast Denny's Favorite 50 1450. Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

944play

Reaction score
If you want a classically smoky tinge, Peat malt ain't it. Briess has a Cherry smoked malt you might look into, or the classic Bamberg Beech rauchmalz (which takes a couple pounds before you really taste it, apparently).

With that OG, I'd go with more bittering to balance.

OP
F

fan1cowboys

Reaction score
Thanks for the bittering suggestion. I am really interested in the peated malt. I love a good peated scotch, Laphroaig is my favorite and want to impart that into the beer.

BrewMan13

Whole Nother Level Brewing
Reaction score
I do a smoked porter with 4oz peated and it's just right imo....over that will give a pretty dominant smoke profile I think. I think u can drop the carapils and sub the roasted barley with a bit more black patent but the latter is just a personal preference.

OP
F

fan1cowboys

Reaction score
I am going to increase the hops a little and go with this. Any input on yeast suggestion would be welcome.