Smoked grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhall23

Reaction score
I have 3lbs of pale malt grains that I didn't end up using in a batch because I did it as an all-extract rather than a partial grain.

I have another batch in mind that I want to brew in the coming weeks which calls smoke pale malt grains during the steeping phase.

I want to use these left over pale malt grains in order to avoid waste. But since they need to be smoked, can any one suggest how to smoke these grains at home? The grains have already been crushed.

Or would I be better off holding on to these as just pale malt grains for another batch and purchase smoke pale malt grains instead?

Thanks.
Cheers!
:mug:

You can smoke grains yourself, but I would recommend buying them.

Be warned, all smoked grains are not equal. Peat smoke is more intense than others; 4 ozs of peat smoked malt in 5 gallons is enough for all but the most adventurous, while you need about 3 lbs of cherrywood/beechwood/alderwood smoked grains to get a similar effect.

If just steeping I would suggest getting peat smoked malt.

I just brewed 7 gallons of wee heavy that I wanted a slight smokiness to, and used 3 ozs in the mash.

Back