Smoked Bacon Beertini

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the proper garnish for a Smoked Bacon Beertini? (Doesn't violate man-law)

• No Garnish

• Garnish with a mini-smokey link

• Garnish with tiny crushed bacon bits on the glass rim

• Both; sausage and bacon bits

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna try making something strange for summer. A buddy on mine made a jalapeno pepper beer out of a gallon that was siphoned off a pilsner. He added was he thinks was about a hand full of jalapeno slices and a dash of liquid smoke and let it sit for a week. Then carbed it up.

I had a few under my belt at the time but I must say that it was rather tasty. It was hot and smokey but not too much where you needed to cool your mouth off. Kind of like a medium salsa. Hot enough to be intriguing making you want another sip. The smoke was not overbearing either.

The only thing missing was a chunk of pork-laden meat.

Hmmmm..... Sausage or Bacon?

I'm visioning a dry beer served in a martini glass; (Picking one garnish)
  1. with mini-smoked sausage link on a toothpick
  2. with the rim of the glass lined with tiny crushed bacon bits (like a margarita)
  3. Oh crap, how about both.
I'm thinking along these lines for a recipe:
45% pale malt
45% wheat malt
10% sugar
Cascade or Saaz at 60 minutes ( neting about 17 IBU's)
Pitch S-05

In the 2ndary;
Wrights liquid smoke ( 1/4-1/2 tsp per gallon)
Jalapeno sliced (1 per gallon)

Looking for advice about the peppers. I don't want steep them I want the pepper taste w/o blazing heat. I think I'm close but not sure, never used peppers in a recipe.

I chose options 2, 3, and 4. Put a little smokey on a tooth pick into the glass. Crust the rim with baco's. Lather, rinse, repeat.

This is the kind of thing that makes me go want to take a bite out of a living hog.

And that hog has been raised solely on bacon and spam it's entire life. A living canibal hog that lives in a smoke house and has lungs as black as tar.

Hahaha! Serve with a rack of ribs and bacon smeared peppercorn pork loin with a side of fresh pork rinds and jack daniels BBQ sauce!

Ok - who's gonna be the tie breaker? Sausage or Both?

No comments on the pepper amount...... Am I in the right neighborhood or not?

Hmmmm.....I don't see bacon being a good beer garnish. The pepper beer in my dropdown went exquisitely with meat, cheese and crackers around Christmas time. The pepper came through very nicely in flavor, aroma, and heat. The roasting added a smidge of smoke. I have to grow more peppers this year so that I can make more than one batch.

Blasphemy! - Bacon on the rim, with a smoke beer???? As long as its not a head killer.

I may have to find me a good pepper-brew to trial this on in the mean time.

LOL! Let me know how it comes out. The rauchbiers that I've tried already remind me of jerkey.

I say both, and if you send some out for others to sample include the garnish in a food saver bag so they get it right !!!!!

Oh and on your pepper question if you want flavor and little to no heat , omit most if not all of the seeds !

I say both, and if you send some out for others to sample include the garnish in a food saver bag so they get it right !!!!!

Oh and on your pepper question if you want flavor and little to no heat , omit most if not all of the seeds !

Good point on the sampling.

Thanks about the no seed advice. So the pepper/gal is about right then.

I am all for bacon. The sausage on a stick would compete with the bacon dusted rim. I know it's cool to have multiple meat products, but you ARE trying to create something that is good and you would want to have over and over again. Regarding the pepper amount... I do something similar with gin and jalapenos. It all depends on the pepper. Some are hotter than others, and the only way to tell is to taste a slice. If it is not that hot, then add a couple more. I would not put in more than five though. Also, be sure to leave the seeds in the pepper - that is where the heat comes from.

Do bacon.

Also, a jalapeno per gallon seems reasonable. Remove a pretty good amount of the seeds/center with each one. Large fat ones are less hot. Ones with pointy tips are hotter. We use about a jalapeno and a half per gallon (most seeds and centers removed) for a pretty spicy guacamole (New Mexico here, so blazing hot for most everyone else). But that's with the jalapeno in there. Since you'll the actual jalapeno out when you bottle, you'll get less spice. So one a gallon seems fine.

We core out the jalapeno's, wrap them with bacon stab a toothpick through them and stuff 'em with cheese. Put them on the grill and grill them for "jalapeno poppers" and drink some beet while eating! So that's why I say go with bacon.

I am no expert on this, I am just recycling advice from my aunt and uncle.

They make a jalapeno hefe, I think they said 1 whole pepper for 5 gallons.

you look at the recipe data base yet ?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/madame-butterfly-88793/

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Golden Chili Lager -

look here!

-Jason

No, I didn't do anything other than a visual scan.

The BYO recipe is 1 pepper per bottle!!!!!!

The madam butterfly beer will burn like hell.

I like hot food, but I don't want to be drinking something where HB people think like oh fark where can I dump this w/o nobody seeing me.

I'd say this should be a one or two beers with an appetizer. If I had pony bottles I'd put them in those.

I am all for bacon. The sausage on a stick would compete with the bacon dusted rim. I know it's cool to have multiple meat products, but you ARE trying to create something that is good and you would want to have over and over again. Regarding the pepper amount... I do something similar with gin and jalapenos. It all depends on the pepper. Some are hotter than others, and the only way to tell is to taste a slice. If it is not that hot, then add a couple more. I would not put in more than five though. Also, be sure to leave the seeds in the pepper - that is where the heat comes from.

I want something drinkable up two beers. It needs to be mild, fricken really hot be a real turn off. I want something subtle. I love hot as $hit food. Who wants to drink stuff that will burn the piss out of your tongue and throat that you can't even taste an IPA later.

I have noticed that hotness varies from pepper to pepper. Dry growing soil produces different results than loamy moist soil. Dry makes for hotter peppers.

I agree , the seeds seem to be the primary heat source.

Do bacon.

Also, a jalapeno per gallon seems reasonable. Remove a pretty good amount of the seeds/center with each one. Large fat ones are less hot. Ones with pointy tips are hotter. We use about a jalapeno and a half per gallon (most seeds and centers removed) for a pretty spicy guacamole (New Mexico here, so blazing hot for most everyone else). But that's with the jalapeno in there. Since you'll the actual jalapeno out when you bottle, you'll get less spice. So one a gallon seems fine.

We core out the jalapeno's, wrap them with bacon stab a toothpick through them and stuff 'em with cheese. Put them on the grill and grill them for "jalapeno poppers" and drink some beet while eating! So that's why I say go with bacon.

I'm gonna have to think about poppers as an appeteaser. :D

Thanks for confirmation on 1/gal. I'm gonna remove most of the seeds to or a portion of them. I believe its good advice to taste 'em first.

For the first one it'll be mellow. If I made this too often I'll become a pepper-head.

No, I didn't do anything other than a visual scan.

The BYO recipe is 1 pepper per bottle!!!!!!

The madam butterfly beer will burn like hell.

I like hot food, but I don't want to be drinking something where HB people think like oh fark where can I dump this w/o nobody seeing me.

I'd say this should be a one or two beers with an appetizer. If I had pony bottles I'd put them in those.

Believe it or not, Madame Butterfly was a favorite of all who tried it. My Harley ridin' Milwaukee's Best drinkin' father-in-law wanted to pay for a batch worth of ingrediants to have two more cases! I went to a gathering of regular homebrewers and took this with me in December. I took two bottles the next time and they were passed around to all present. I don't know if I'll be able to go back because I'm pretty much out of this beer.
True, it's got some heat, just not too much for the average person. Burning like hell is not a problem.:mug:

Edit: This is a once a year batch when my peppers are ready. That's why the father-in-law has to wait. I'll probably do two batches this year due to the popularity.

Latest posts

Back