Smithwick's Irish Red Ale Clone-recipe ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack13

Reaction score
Two friends recently went to Ireland and had Smithwick's Irish Red Ale there and are nuts over it, so I'd like to brew a clone as close as possible to the real thing.

The only clone recipe I could find online produces a 4.6% ABV beer. According to the Smithwick's website the red ale is only 3.8%.

My assumption is that if something as basic as the strenghth of the beer is significantly different, then perhaps the clone isn't so clone-y.

Anyway, here is the recipe I found: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/402398/smithwick-s-irish-red-ale-clone

And this is the description according to the company: https://www.smithwicks.com/brews/red-ale

The description gives some information, but I'm really after someone who may have more info on this particular beer (the yeast used, water profile) ...anything that could help me make the closest clone as I can.

Thanks!

Edit: I had forgotten I also found this recipe on homebrewtalk (but its ABV is 5.0%, even further away than the other one): https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=594395

More than enough info to help get you in the ballpark!

Using Brewer's Friend...

7lb Maris Otter
4oz Crystal 40
8oz Crystal 60
2oz UK Roasted barley
WLP004 ale yeast

Hop to about 17 IBU
ABV is 3.78% calculated.
BJCP for Red Irish ale is 18-28 IBU, so Smithwick is on the light side of ABV and hopping. Hopping will be the trick as they're using Herkules, which in my opinion, is a high alpha bittering hop. You won't need much to bitter with, so I'd use milder Goldings for about 30mins, and then Herkules as a finishing hop. Unfortunately, Brewer's friend doesn't have Herkules hops in the database ... so I had to tool around to get the stats.

More than enough info to help get you in the ballpark!

Using Brewer's Friend...

7lb Maris Otter
4oz Crystal 40
8oz Crystal 60
2oz UK Roasted barley
WLP004 ale yeast

Hop to about 17 IBU
ABV is 3.78% calculated.
BJCP for Red Irish ale is 18-28, so Smithwick is on the light side of ABV and hopping. Hopping will be the trick as they're using Herkules, which in my opinion, is a high alpha bittering hop. You won't need much to bitter with, so I'd use milder Goldings for about 30mins, and then Herkules as a finishing hop. Unfortunately, Brewer's friend doesn't have Herkules hops in the database ... so I had to tool around to get the stats.

Thanks! Any idea about the water? Just broad strokes...

For a water profile, I'd use a balanced ratio, just balance CaCl2 and gypsum around three-quarter teaspoon each, and a quarter to half-teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate max for a 5 gallons batch.
This is using Balanced Profile One in Brewer's Friend and the basic mineral adjustment calculator.

Sorry, forgot to add this was using reverse osmosis, filtered water that would be low mineral and soft.
If you could find a low mineral spring water like Poland Spring, it would do. The pH is around 6.6-7, soft, and very similar to RO. Cheap as well, I can get 6 gallons for about $5.20 at a US BJ's.

Last edited:
To me, looking at the grist, if you didn't mash high, it yields around 54 for for DP (diastatic power). It would net you a fairly light-bodied ale - which the low ABV hints at.

Thanks, this is trememdously helpful. And regarding your first post, I do in fact use RO water. From what I've found out, I can for all intents and purposes consider it to be mineral free. It's from the dispenser at the supermarket - Glacier is the company, $0.35/gal. (my tap water is crazy high in iron).

Latest posts

Back