Smells like yeast, tastes like yeast....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akglyd

Reaction score
My first brew have been standing for 17 days now.
I used WLP 570.
Og1.065
And now 1.015.
I thought it would get lower?
It doesn't smell or taste bad, just a lot of yeast....
Is this normal or is there something wrong?
Heeelp!

You are at 77% attenuation, so you might get 1 more point out of it, maybe. In the future, check your yeast strains attenuation %, easily found on the yeast manufacturers website, then take the drop in gravity points (65-15) and divide by the amount of OG points (65) so 50/65= 76.9%. That yeast strain is rated 73-78%.

Don't worry about a yeasty taste at this point. Bottle it, let it carb/condition for 3 weeks, then give one a few days in the fridge. Leave the yeast sediment in the bottle and you'll be fine :mug:

Well, yeast smells like all different types of things depending on strain and temperature and fermentation stage. But you don't need to worry, it's actually really hard to infect a batch of beer. Not impossible, but a lot harder than most people think.

I am obviously a worried sole...

It comes with the territory. The first couple of batches will worry the heck out of you till you drink that first beer. I bet it will be great after it carbs up and sits in the fridge for a day or two.

Back