Smells like straight farts....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Limited Visibility

Reaction score
I brewrd a Flagstaff Honey Wheat yesterday, and it was bubbling about one time every second, then it dropped off. I'll look at it for about a minute and it will not bubble........ and it smells like straight egg fart. What did i do wrong?

sorry im drunk

Thats too bad. You can send it to me and I will dispose of it according to EPA mandates...

Its okay, wheat beers tend to be very sulfury when fermenting.

Yep, smells like farts for a bit then the yeast take some of those smells out and other smells go with time. I don't know why some yeast have such a sulphury smell but they tend to be lager and wheat beers mainly. My Dad complains about ale fermentations smelling up the house, so I guess smell is all relative because I love the smell.

I guess smell is all relative because I love the smell
Brewed today (extract in kitchen); SWMBO walked in near the end of the boil and her first comment was "euhh, it smells bad." I hadn't noticed anything smelling bad -- in fact, several times I had my head hung over the brewpot sniffing away.

Rick

Limited Visibility said:
I brewrd a Flagstaff Honey Wheat yesterday, and it was bubbling about one time every second, then it dropped off. I'll look at it for about a minute and it will not bubble........ and it smells like straight egg fart. What did i do wrong?

sorry im drunk

I would be too if my brew stunk like that. My Ol lady sleep's in the living room after business is taken care of.

Rick_R said:
Brewed today (extract in kitchen); SWMBO walked in near the end of the boil and her first comment was "euhh, it smells bad." I hadn't noticed anything smelling bad -- in fact, several times I had my head hung over the brewpot sniffing away.

Rick

My wife is the same way... she can't wait until I move the brewery into the basement, our out of the house completely. I love the smell of the spent grains and the hops, but she thinks it all smells nasty.

Bob8690 said:
for the cash to build a pole barn. She' ll go play bingo when you're brewing.:ban:

Actually, I already have two spaces that I can work with. One is in the basement, the other is a "blockhouse" on the back side of the property, that we currently use for storing lawn mowers and the like. For her, the blockhouse would be the best, as it is completely away from the house, but its disadvantage is that it will require the most money to convert, as it is not wired for power, and it would have to be completely redone inside to make it usable for me to brew.

Back