Smells like beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBearForge

Reaction score
Woot! My first beer (a simple pale ale recipe) is really beginning to smell like actual beer! :ban:

I placed it in primary Sunday evening, had activity by Monday morning, vigorous fermentation by Monday evening and today it appears to be starting to slow down just a bit (a bloop in the S-lock every five seconds or so now). Our ferret thinks so too (he is a big time beer connoisseur as well) and when he's out makes a beeline to the Igloo Cube where it's fermenting. (The Cube seems to be working beautifully as well, keeping things right at 67-68 degrees with a 16 oz. bottle of ice every 12 hours.)

I've decided to let it sit in the primary the entire 3-4 weeks which means I may have to use my five gallon carboy with a blow off for the next batch I now feel compelled to brew in a week or two, a porter perhaps? (or better yet pick up a 6.5 gallon better bottle and save the five gallon carboy for aging a RIS in secondary!). Thanks for the wealth of information here!

Congrats! Welcome to the beginnings of a huge obsession, just don't break the bank. :)

Congrats,
I remember the stoke I had with my first batch. I'm excited for ya:mug:

I would go ahead an get that better bottle and brew another batch, and use the carboy for EdWort's Apfelwein: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/
Read through and check out all the great reviews that recipe has. And it's way too easy. I started one two weeks ago and it felt like cheating.

I can't stop brewing!
Watch out you'll be next:mug:

Congrats,
I remember the stoke I had with my first batch. I'm excited for ya:mug:

I would go ahead an get that better bottle and brew another batch, and use the carboy for EdWort's Apfelwein: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/
Read through and check out all the great reviews that recipe has. And it's way too easy. I started one two weeks ago and it felt like cheating.

I can't stop brewing!
Watch out you'll be next:mug:

How'd you know I was thinking about hard cider? lol

Back