Smells like beer but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overdbus

Reaction score
After starting out with a per-boil gravity of 10.40 @ 90f
and post-boil gravity of 10.55@ 70f ( shooting for 10.70)
that was two weeks ago, very active fermentation for 4 or 5
days in between 62f an72f. Today transferred two the secondary
and took a reading and taste – reading was 1.006@ 70f ,the taste
was alcoholic to astringent almost a hot after taste, just checked
online for the waters(bottled Crystal Geyser) and has a PH of 7
oh dear oh my …. it's in the secondary now with some hops
is there any hope for this or did I just make 5 gals of drain cleaner ?

What yeast did you use? That's very low FG for a typical brewers yeast. The alcohol burn will fade (somewhat) with time.

What yeast did you use? That's very low FG for a typical brewers yeast. The alcohol burn will fade (somewhat) with time.

doubt it. i've keep beer that was fermented too hot for 5 months and it still had that crap taste.

I did that with my first batch,left it on the yeast cake for 5 days or so. Cleaned up pretty good,& by 3 weeks in the bottles,it tasted pretty good. The list of off flavors I had were gone. Def not like when I was making wine. In some ways,that was easier.
So if it's not too bad,it'll fade with time. But a lot of fusels are a lot harder to get rid of in the bottles.

doubt it. i've keep beer that was fermented too hot for 5 months and it still had that crap taste.

It's an Ale and the warmest it got was 72f at the beginning
of day 1 went down in temp the rest of the time (water ice bath
t-shirt /fan ) maybe to much yeast ?

I was thinking that since your water's PH was up around seven,you may need to treat it with something to get the PH in line.

No need to be concerned about a pH of 7. The acidity of the wort will bring that down. The pH of any kind of pure water is basically not important. Water (especially bottled) water has almost no buffering ability (ability to resist change in pH).

Sounds to me like your beer needs more time to mature. Check it again in 2-3 weeks and let us know.

Hmmm...I figured that since AG brewers worry a lot about adjusting PH,that even an extract brewer with PH that high might have cause for concern. Even extracts can't account for the PH of the water you're using to reconstitute it.?...

Hmmm...I figured that since AG brewers worry a lot about adjusting PH,that even an extract brewer with PH that high might have cause for concern. Even extracts can't account for the PH of the water you're using to reconstitute it.?...

this was AG and Ph stabilizer is now on the shopping list along with
and ....

I've heard good & bad about Five Star's 5.2 PH stabilizer. Never tried it though...there are different things from suppliers for adjusting various water qualities.

Back