smell + fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
i'm brewing my first batch of home brew with a coopers micro brew kit its a lager i did everything it said its been in the fermenter almost 5 days now and the airlock was bublling pretty steady every 2-3 seconds for about three days and then just stopped and it had they call it krausen at the top but only about a half inch or so thats all gone down and the bubbling has stopped completly should i take a hydrometer test at this point cause the directions say to leave it in a week then bottle i'm worrided than it didn't ferment all the way plus theres like a sweet smell kind of like sweet apple coming from airlock is this bad i sanitized everything very good i'm wondering what all this means and what should i do at this point anyone that could help i would really be gratefull thanks in advance eps

Don't worry about the smell. Check the gravity in a week and if it doesn't change then bottle it.

it's probably fine you can just leave it in the fermenter for the recommended time and take a reading then neither airlock activity nor krausen are necessary indicators of fermentation but you can take a reading now if you want to so you can understand how things progress the smell might be a result of an overly high fermentation temperature which might cause some flavor issues but it could also just be a natural aroma thrown by your particular yeast relax don't worry have a homebrew also in the future your posts will be easier to read with some punctuation good luck

Thanks for answering guys i really appreciate it. Its my first batch and i'm nervous about it coming out good.

Back