Smell durning fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriswilkes33

Reaction score
I started a batch of apfelwein yesterday from Edworts recipe. Everything went really smooth as it is extremely simple to make, but yesterday we had some airlock activity, today it seems to have stopped but my question is about the smell. It has pretty much stunk up the pantry we are keeping it in (almost to the point of gagging me and my wife when we walk in) Is this normal?

Apparently it is, according to the originator of the recipe: Ed Wort. The montrachet yeast is known for it's sulphur production; though I've been able to virtually eliminate this by using yeast nutrient, yeast energizer & a little added DAP (diammonium phosphate). I'm fermenting 3 gallons under my desk & it's starting to clear nicely. I've put my nose right up to the airlock to get a whiff many times (I know it sounds weird, but I ain't the only one who does this) and I could BARELY detect the presence of ANY sulphurous odor(s) at all & even then only for a day or two. I've NEVER had a fermentation that smelled bad; I've always thought they smelled of fruit, honey & yeasty goodness through the airlock, though some of my higher alcohol stuff smells like rocket fuel when it's young. Hope you find some of this info useful. Regards, GF.

Donno if that help, but since I could not find Red Star yeasts locally, I used lalvin EC-1118 and didn't experience the sulfur smell, just a strong fermentation odor, but not unpleasant. End product is dry and neutral, I can detect the banana-like aroma of the mcintosh used to make the juice, good stuff :D

Donno if that help, but since I could not find Red Star yeasts locally, I used lalvin EC-1118 and didn't experience the sulfur smell, just a strong fermentation odor, but not unpleasant. End product is dry and neutral, I can detect the banana-like aroma of the mcintosh used to make the juice, good stuff :D

Hi quaxk: I've never heard of these "bannana-like" aromas coming from macintosh, or any other apples for that matter & I'm both curious & concerned as my primary source of all natural, locally grown & pressed juice is primarily macintosh. Are these flavours strong, like in a hefeweizen, or more fleeting like bubblegum notes in a young wine? Do they increase or decrease with age? Do you know if ABV% has any effect on this flavour? Thanks in advance, GF. :)

Hi quaxk: I've never heard of these "bannana-like" aromas coming from macintosh, or any other apples for that matter & I'm both curious & concerned as my primary source of all natural, locally grown & pressed juice is primarily macintosh. Are these flavours strong, like in a hefeweizen, or more fleeting like bubblegum notes in a young wine? Do they increase or decrease with age? Do you know if ABV% has any effect on this flavour? Thanks in advance, GF. :)

Hello :) The mcintosh, in my humble opinion, has a banana-like aroma going on. So does the freyberg, IMHO. Girlfriend says it's more like pear. Isn't it amazing how opinion can differ? :D Aroma out of the fermenter is light, I can't tell you more than that, I just bottled the wine.

Back