Smashing with low AA hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corycorycory09

Reaction score
I want to do a SMASH IPA with crystal hops. However, the AA% is only ~4%.

Would you recommend it at all for bittering?

Would a hop schedule like this make sense? Do you think it would be bitter enough for an IPA?

5 gallon batch:

1oz 60min
.5oz 20 min
.5oz flameout
1oz dry hop

I'd up the 60 minute edition up to 2 ounces. That will put you in the IBU range for an IPA.

that will definitely not be bitter enough for an IPA. Crystal hops are like semi-noble. They arent suited for IPAs, it takes too much of them to give appreciable hop character. To get anywhere close I think youd need:
@60 3oz
@20 3 oz
@0: 6oz
@dry: 3oz

I think youd be better off using mroe reasonable amounts in a SMaSH saison

Probably not an IPA. Could potentially be a tasty brew none the less. I just wouldn't expect an IPA flavor from it.

I would suggest an ounce of a higher AA for bittering. Then, hammer the flameout with at least 3-4oz of Crystal. Maybe another 3oz for dry hopping.

That hop schedule will be a blonde ale, not an IPA. You'd need a lot more bitterness. Assuming 4.5%AA (the default in brewtarget for Crystal) even increasing the 60min addition to 2oz will just barely get you into APA bitterness range. 3oz (or 3.5oz if the hops are 4%AA) would get you into IPA territory, but don't expect this beer to drink like the commercial American IPAs that most of us are accustomed to.

I'd suggest a different hop for a SMASH IPA or a different style for a Crystal SMASH. The schedule you posted would make a blonde ale, which might drink nicely.

Yeah my bad I plugged the numbers in wrong in Beersmith. 3 ounces at 60 minutes will barely put you into IPA territory.

Probably not an IPA. Could potentially be a tasty brew none the less. I just wouldn't expect an IPA flavor from it.

I would suggest an ounce of a higher AA for bittering. Then, hammer the flameout with at least 3-4oz of Crystal. Maybe another 3oz for dry hopping.

What do you think about this? I have columbus, summit, and nugget I can use for bittering, just trying to pick what will be the most nuetral so the crystal hops can shine.

2oz columbus - 60 min
1oz crystal 20 min
1oz crystal 10 min
1oz crystal flameout
1oz crystal dry hop

That should take care of the bitterness, but now I'm worried about the flavor/aroma if you're really going for a true IPA. If you only have 4 oz of the Crystal, I might do 2 oz at flameout and 2 oz dry hop. I would suggest getting even more Crystal and doing 3-4 oz at flameout and 2-3 oz dry hop.

What do you think about this? I have columbus, summit, and nugget I can use for bittering, just trying to pick what will be the most nuetral so the crystal hops can shine.

2oz columbus - 60 min
1oz crystal 20 min
1oz crystal 10 min
1oz crystal flameout
1oz crystal dry hop

What's the OG? 2oz is a lot for 60 minutes. Are you doing a full volume boil?

What's the OG? 2oz is a lot for 60 minutes. Are you doing a full volume boil?

5.5 gallon batch of 1.058 OG, but I usually top off with 1 gallon cold water to hit 5.5 total (and because I don't have a wort chiller)

Yeah I should've asked OG and batch size, good call brewprint. Looks like 1 oz of Columbus should do the trick. 2 oz at 60 mins is gonna get you 90-100 IBUs, while 1 oz at 60 mins will get you 40-50 IBUs. I tend to aim for 50-60 IBUs for IPAs, which is right around where you should end up after your later additions of Crystal are thrown in as well.

5.5 gallon batch of 1.058 OG, but I usually top off with 1 gallon cold water to hit 5.5 total (and because I don't have a wort chiller)

Okay if it's a 5.5 gallon batch that you have to add a gallon of water to make 5.5 it's actually 4.5. Then is your OG less than 1.058 after you add the water? It sounds like it, so in that case I surely wouldn't use 2 ounces of Columbus as your bittering addition.

1 oz Columbus 60 and the rest of your additions look fine. I would however increase that dry hop to at least 2 ounces if not 3. IMHO most of the hop flavor in IPAs comes from dry hops.

I think youd be better off using mroe reasonable amounts in a SMaSH saison

A bit off-topic since you are looking to make an IPA right now, but to add to what m00ps said -

A SMaSH saison with 2-row and Crystal hops is really tasty. I did one over the summer with 1.046 OG, 25 IBU, and Belle Saison to ferment. It was a great beer.

Cheers and enjoy the brew.

Back