SMaSHing, baby!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob

Reaction score
Well, kids, it's finally ready to drink. I did a SMaSH not long ago which turned out really, really well. Without further ado, here's the recipe:

Anglo-American SMaSH

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 3.00 Wort Size (Gal): 3.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 5.00
Anticipated OG: 1.045 Plato: 11.19
Anticipated SRM: 3.2
Anticipated IBU: 18.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.0 5.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 16.0 First WH
0.25 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 3.0 20 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.25 Tsp Whirlfloc Other 15 Min.(boil)
0.25 Tsp Yeastex Other 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Danstar Windsor

Here's a piccy:

smash.jpg

It's darker in the photo than in real life. I don't have the photography setup for this stuff.

Anyway, it's super pale, crisp, and refreshing. The Windsor made it as fruity as a street market, and the whole Goldings are quite fine indeed. It was bottle-conditioned with Turbinado sugar.

As you can see, it's quite bright, also; I added no fining to the beer other than patience. Windsor clears very well on its own, and I had no problems with attenuation: 48 hours after pitching the gravity was 1.012. After that it was a matter of waiting. Six weeks from grain to glass.

Next time, I don't think I'll change anything. I could toast some of the malt, but I rather like the beer as-is!

Cheers,

Bob

Almost exactly like my last SMaSH but that was 2row/Styrian Goldings. I know, more fuggliy that EKG, but very tasty.

Thanks for the good word!

Whirlfloc is a kettle fining. When I wrote that I added no fining, I meant that I didn't use Isinglass or gelatin or anything post-fermentation. Should have clarified that (pun intended!).

Bob

Back