SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenjammin

Reaction score
would it be sane to try a single malt single hop beer with 100% wheat malt? or all munich? i'm wanting to do some single mat/hop beers but my lhbs only carries can. 2-row for base grain...but they carry an ok selection of the more common specialty malts/grains. so other than being more expensive, would all wheat be any good? or all munich/vienna/rye/oat/etc.?

thanks for any responses

i made vienna + northern brewer and it tastes great so far. bottling this weekend...

EDIT: evan, hope i get one of your beers in the swap. that sounds fantastic.

DeathBrewer said:
i made vienna + northern brewer and it tastes great so far. bottling this weekend...

EDIT: evan, hope i get one of your beers in the swap. that sounds fantastic.

eh, you wanna do a sideswap, pm me.

All munich would be prollly be really nice. 100% wheat might be tricky. Be sure to mix in an ample amount of rice hulls to avoid a stuck mash which would otherwise be inevitable. On the other hand I don't know of any commercial examples.

My smash is a lager made with Pilsener malt and Saaz. It's also single decoction.
Single malt, Single Hop, Sinlge decoction. Single bliss.

i'm thinking i'll try an all wheat soon...battle it out with the sparge. the hops are another matter...any suggestion? especially if its not "traditional" i'm wondering what would go well...vienna and munich sounds awesome too...

another question...if i took a quantity of...say flaked rye, how much 2-row would be needed to convert. to put it more clearly, for one pound of flaked rye, what is the minimal amount of two-row needed to convert it? am i making sense?

thanks

Back