SMaSH with Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyBroas

Reaction score
I did a blog post recently about my first SMaSH beer and had a few people ask me about converting it to extract. I know people have talked here about SMaSH extract brews, but it's my understanding that extracts are made with a blend of malt. You can see even the Briess light extracts have carapils in them:http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Malt_Extracts.htm#GoldenLight

So is it possible to do a true SMaSH from extract?

Are there any extracts made from only one base malt?

BTW big thanks to Orfy for introducing my to SMaSH beers. Very cool idea.

I doubt you'd find a pure Vienna extract, but there are pure Maris Otter extracts that might be a good choice.

Yea I figured the Vienna extract was out the question but thought a pure 2-row might be available. Do you know where I can find the pure Maris Otter extracts? I checked a few of the online vendors and they only have Marris Otter grains.

Thanks.

Do you know where I can find the pure Maris Otter extracts? I checked a few of the online vendors and they only have Marris Otter grains

I have never seen it and I use many suppliers (doesn't mean it doesn't exist). While it may not technically be a SMaSH, you could probably replicate a similar recipe using Extra Light DME and then steep Caravienne.

Try William's Brewing - I haven't used them, but they have quite a few specialty malt extracts.

It'd still have merit in understanding what a single type of DME/LME contributes to an extract brew. I know many of the kits I have bought would contain 3.3lbs of LME and then some DME of a different type/style.

Thanks for the info guys. It's true that there is still benefit from doing a single extract SMaSH,even if the extract isn't pure. I'd recommend it to any brewer to learn what the malts and hops taste like. I still wish there was an extract brand labeled "100% Pale Malt" or similar so you could do an extract SMaSH and have no doubts. Glad I do all grain though :D

From the homebrew shop I use:

Munton's Dried Malt Extract Light DME

Our DME, provided exclusively by Munton-Fison, of Suffolk, England, is the finest dried malt extract in the world. These products are produced from 100% 2-row malted barley.

I'm doing a partial mash smash tonight 5lbs M&F 2 row pale malt augmented with 4lbs of M&F Light DME. should come out 100% all M&F 2-row.

Instructional brew night, teaching partial mashing to a buddy again tonight.

100% 2-row doesn't mean it's a single malt. Most specialty malts are 2-row.

100% 2-row doesn't mean it's a single malt. Most specialty malts are 2-row.

Most Briess specialty malts are made with 6row barley but your point is still valid. 100% 2row doesn't mean that it is 100% of the same malt.

Williams Brewing sells a 100% German Moravian Pilsner malt extract.

Thanks for the info guys. It's true that there is still benefit from doing a single extract SMaSH,even if the extract isn't pure. I'd recommend it to any brewer to learn what the malts and hops taste like. I still wish there was an extract brand labeled "100% Pale Malt" or similar so you could do an extract SMaSH and have no doubts. Glad I do all grain though :D

Well, for an extract brewer, learning the character of different brands of extract is probably more important than learning the character of specific malts.

I think using all 1 extract follows the spirit of smash.

Well, for an extract brewer, learning the character of different brands of extract is probably more important than learning the character of specific malts.

I think using all 1 extract follows the spirit of smash.

Oh yea, definitely in the spirit of SMaSH. It was always intended on being a learning experience. Plus, you can still make fantastic beer this way.

Briess- break down:
TYPICAL ANALYSIS: Solids 97%, Fermentability 80%, INGREDIENTS: Briess Base Malt, Briess Carapils® Malt, Water

Checking with Muntons to see if they add a carapils or equiv.

From Munton & Fison:
"Dear Christopher
Our Pale Malt will only ever have this one type of malt in. We don't blend with carapils.
Good luck with your brew
Regards

Nigel

Dr Nigel Davies
Manufacturing and Technical Director"

So you can do a true SMASH with munton & fison dry malt extract in a all extract or partial mash SMASH using M&F two row pale. no extra malts added.

From Munton & Fison:
"Dear Christopher
Our Pale Malt will only ever have this one type of malt in. We don't blend with carapils.
Good luck with your brew
Regards

Nigel

Dr Nigel Davies
Manufacturing and Technical Director"

So you can do a true SMASH with munton & fison dry malt extract in a all extract or partial mash SMASH using M&F two row pale. no extra malts added.

Nice job! Thanks for contacting them. This is valuable info for SMaSH extract brewers. :mug:

no prob. My next smash I want to take the alcohol & hops way up (amarillo this time), my 5 gal mash tun can't handle any more than 12lbs of malt so to get a big amarillo Smash at a big IPA alcohol level (possibly an imperial IPA), I'm going to add a few lbs of DME.

I was pretty sure muntons was 100%, but figured I'd check.

I recently did an extract smash as a base for my berry weizen

I used Liquid Wheat Malt, and clearly thats not a single malt extract.

6.6 lbs Wheat Malt Extract
.5 OZ Mt Hood @ 60 minutes.
.25 OZ Mt Hood at 5 minutes.
2.5 lbs Michigan Black Raspberries at flame out

2 OZ Black Berry extract

Munich Yeast.

The color is amazing on this one.

IMG_0339.jpg

OG 1.050
FG 1.011

I recently did an extract smash as a base for my berry weizen

I used Liquid Wheat Malt, and clearly thats not a single malt extract.

6.6 lbs Wheat Malt Extract
.5 OZ Mt Hood @ 60 minutes.
.25 OZ Mt Hood at 5 minutes.
2.5 lbs Michigan Black Raspberries at flame out

2 OZ Black Berry extract

Munich Yeast.

The color is amazing on this one.

OG 1.050
FG 1.011

Interesting when I convert this in BeerSmith, its converts the extract to 5.08 lb Belgian Wheat Malt, and 3.27 lbs of German Wheat Malt for an all grain.

So, is muntons wheat malt extract all wheat malt?

Back