SMaSH White Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArkotRamathorn

Reaction score
I am contemplating my first all grain, and SMaSH recipe this weekend. Though I am stuck on a couple things with deciding the recipe. I think I want to use white wheat, though I know with all wheat generally rice hulls are required. So first question, if I did 10lbs of white wheat (or 9, though I want to hit the 1.040ish for OG), would 1lb of rice hulls be enough insurance to prevent a stuck mash or can I get away with less? Not that cost is an issue, just, if I can get away with .5 then I'll just get .5.

The next issue I'm looking at is deciding between East Kent Goldings and Cluster hops. Since my first beer was a sort of porter/scotch ale sort of mixup, I want to try and have a decent wheat ale with a balanced hop characteristic (my first beer was more like a coffee/toffee mixup with enough hops so it wasn't like drinking maple syrup).

If I went with the EKGs I was thinking a 1/4 OZ. (at every interval) at 60, 40, 20, 10 during the boil. Then I would hit around 20ish IBUs and preserve some of the hop aromas and flavors, while doing a sufficient job of bittering the beer. Or, I was going to go with Cluster hops with a simpler schedule at .5 OZ (at both intervals) 60 minutes and 10 or 5 minutes. Is there any major differences I would see between the two schedules?

As for the yeast, this is still totally up in the air, I am open to any suggestions on this. Myself, and SWMBO like the esters and such, though if the weather holds for the next week we will be stuck in the upper 60s lower 70s. My beery future is mercurial, I am completely open to suggestions anywhere on this recipe so I am not set in stone anywhere.

Have you ever had a 100% wheat beer? The flavor is definitely unique, and if you like it that's fine but it's not all that great for many people.

No I haven't tried a 100% wheat beer before. But this is partially the reason I got into home brewing is I really want to try something I can't go and purchase in a store (though if I can find a 100% wheat beer, I'd be more than happy to go and try it).

One last correction, in terms of haziness, I am either way, I like clear beers, I like hazy beers.

I just watched a video that had been posted here on HBT talking about a 100% wheat ale. Granted he did a BIAB and his process would probably end up being different.

Granted all of that, it definitely sounds like a style I would enjoy, and SWMBO would probably fall in love with. The banana tones, the tart-ness (which may be a byproduct of the belgian yeast being used) are two of the major things SWMBO really likes (I'm a little more partial to robust bigger beers).

I could still be talked out of this sort of recipe, I want to hear any kind of discussion or critiques on this, so far after reading HBT for awhile, then finally joining, I've never been steered wrong.

I am about to attempt this same style of beer...how did yours turn out? does n' donts...

Latest posts

Back