SMaSH Vienna/Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I saw a thread on favorite SMaSH brews.....and a very popular combination seems to be Vienna and Northern Brewer. I have never done a SMaSH and want to try.

Did not see a specific recipe with OG....FG....target IBU and hop addition times, etc.....or yeast.

Anyone out there do a SMaSH in this combo that can post their recipe or advice on what numbers I should shoot for?

I've done Vienna SMaSH's with Saaz and Perle that were both yummy, some tables list Northern Brewer as a sub for Perle so I think they would be similar. I did 1.054-1.055 with 1 oz hops per 5 gal at 15 min and flameout respectively, plus a bittering addition to get about 32-35 IBU. I did them both with Pacman yeast.

I seen the vienna/northern brewer smash too, but have not yet tried it. I have used northern brewer in a few beers that it was the only hops but never as a smash.

I did a blonde not too long ago that used only northern brewer and it came out pretty good. If I make a V/NB smash I will use the same hop schedule.

This is what it would look like, SG was 1051 24 IBUs according to beersmith

9.5lb of vienna, 150F mash
14gm NB 7.8AA 30min 10.9IBU
14gm NB 7.8AA 10min 5.1IBU
14gm NB 7.8AA 5min 2.8IBU
14gm NB 7.8AA 30min steep 5.4IBU

fermented with wyeast califonia lager yeast.

Northern Brewer is a great hop........... An excellent choice for a single hop. Decent bittering and excellent noble flavor profile....... A hop I really like!

Just sit down with Brewer's Friend and design it........ How much IBUs do you want, what ABV do you want, and how much hop presence do you want. You are using a single malt with Vienna. For a 5.5 gallon brew with 6% and an IBU of 35, 12 pounds of Vienna, and half an ounce of NB at 60 min, and 2 ounces at 10 min. Using Fermentis USA-05 would yield a nice flavorful brew...... another half an ounce for a dry hop wouldn't hurt the brew a bit.

With tools like Brewer's Friend, which you can use free on line, designing a beer is as easy as falling off a log.

These days, I'm leaning more and more heavily on large late additions..... I add most of my hops at about 5 min, sometimes all of them that late, but it makes economic sense to use a 60 min bittering addition so you can move your flavor and aroma hops later and in whirlpool and dry hop..... I see little value in mid range additions........ too much flavor and aroma are lost........ a waste of hops!! I rarely add hops between the 60 minute addition and 10 minutes. I love the flavor and aroma of hops...... I know what I want! I've been tempted to buy a pump just so I could use a hopback feeding into a counterflow chiller to trap those.............

H.W.

I did a SMaSH Vienna with Amarillo and I love it and it has a very malty character! I call it the Vinarillo.

I don't have the recipe though as it did not get transferred with BrewSmith when I changed my phone :mad:

But from what I remember, I got an OG of 1.052 and fermented with US05:mug:

I did a Vienna/NB ale this spring. It wasn't a SMaSH, had a pinch of crystal, Victory, and Cascade. I really liked it, and it got rave reviews from others. I brewed it so that I could get a better feel for Vienna malt, and it certainly gave me that. NB compliments it nicely, at least in an ale. Yeast was WLP007 w/ starter. Based on that beer, I'd do a Vienna/NB SMaSH in a heartbeat.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I do have Beersmith so I can craft a recipe.....and now have some ideas for what to shoot for in recipe.

Back