SMaSH Homegrown Cascades MO or Vienna?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BucksPA

Reaction score
So my buddy is an organc produce farmer in Amish Country (Lancaster, PA). He supplies his produce to all the high end restaurants in Philly and between him and his dad they have been growing hops for 25 years now. He usually harvests about 30 pounds of Cascades each year at different times. He is heading up my way with about 5 pounds of fresh whole leaf hops for me to enjoy.

We're going to brew two batches on Sunday. Because I don't know the AAU's for his hops I was going to brew a very inexpensive SMaSH recipe using his hops and brew another batch using whole leaf hops bought from a supplier with a known AA. I'm going to judge to the best of my ability (and all of my beer drinking friends abilities) the hop flavors from each batch.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of SMaSH to concoct. I was thinking something along the lines of this.

5.5 Gallon batch

Yeast Safale 04
9 LBs Maris Otter
Single Infusion @ 150 F 60 min
Cascades @ 1.00 oz 90 Min
Cascades @ .75 oz 20 min
Cascades @ 1.00 oz 5 min
Cascades @ 1.00 oz dry hop in secondary

or this

Yeast Safale 05
11 Pounds Vienna Malt
Single Infusion @ 150 F 60 min
Cascades @ 1.00 oz 90 Min
Cascades @ .75 oz 20 min
Cascades @ 1.00 oz 5 min
Cascades @ 1.00 oz dry hop in secondary

Thoughts please. I didnt even plug this into any software yet, I'm pulled over in a parking lot trying to think of what would work best. Thanks

Back