SMaSH for my first AG brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
From what I have read when making the transition from extract to all grain it seems beneficial to keep the first few AG batches fairly simple. I am planning on making the switch as soon as I build my cooler mash tun.

So for my first AG beer do you think I should try a SMaSH brew. Ideally this seems like it would be a good place to start and then add specialty grains, different yeasts, other additives one at a time so I can judge their results.

If I decide to do a SMaSH brew is there any specific pitfalls I should be wary about?

A SMASH brew is a good starting point for your first AG brew. With a SMaSH you can start learning about what the base malt and hop tastes like before you start to add things. I would pick a recipe you want to brew for your second brew, and then do your SMaSH based on the base malt and dominate hop in that recipe.

I would brew whatever you want to drink/serve.

A SmaSH beer is fine, but rather simplistic.

There are a lot of very good recipes that are very simple. Even a simple addition of carapils and some lighter crystal malts will give you a better beer than with just a single grain.

If I were you and wanted to brew something simple, but try and gauge my skills, I’d find a commercial (ale) version of something I like…search for a reputable clone and brew it.

Been brewing a lot of SMaSH recipes lately and at first took offense to BierMuncher’s ". . . will give you a better beer than with just a single grain" comment, but he is right. Go to Brewmasters Warehouse and order one of the kits like the Bee Cave Brewery Haus Ale. All you’ll have to worry about is proper procedure, not ingredients.

Get a couple of good brewdays under your belt. After that you may want to try a SMaSH to learn what the different ingredients contribute.

And there’s always plenty to muck up the simplicity of a SMaSH that will add to what might be missed using a single malt. But save decoctions and roasting your own grains for another day.

Back