SMaSH brewing with extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMcPhee

Reaction score
So I've brewed a few extract recipe kits from AHB and everything is going great (apart from needing much more beer and equipment and a second job to pay for it all).

I'd like to start making some smash recipes, in order to actually learn what kind of flavours are contributed with each type of grain and hop. Is this actually possible with LME? Can I learn anything about grain flavour with LME?

Recommend any smash recipes for me to get my feet wet? I figure there are roughly 8 common types of LME and roughly 50 types of easily available hops ... that's 400 different combinations, ignoring hopping schedules and LME quantities...

I'd think the best experiment would be to use the same light extract and test various hops against it by making single hop beers. Maybe you could also test specialty grains, Crystal 20 vs. 60 vs. 80, though the extract probably has some Crystal already in it.

Testing various brands (Briess vs. Munton's. etc.) might be interesting to some; not to me. You could use Munich LME vs. Amber, maybe. But you can't see how, for example, Maris Otter tastes vs. Golden Promise work, or whatever.

That's what I'll probably start with doing, one common LME, and various styles of hops. Still, I'd appreciate some recommendations for "good matches". AHS has the following LME flavours: Amber / Dark / Extra Pale / Munich / Wheat (link)

Would you guys recommend just diving in and picking a random hop and LME or are there "categories" of hops, like bittering, flavour, citrusy hops, english hops, etc...

I literally have no idea what I'm doing.

using the amber,dark, wheat lme wouldent really be a smash, because they contain other malts like crystal. you can still get a good idea of a hop flavor though from using any of these and a single hop

but munich, pilsner or light would work for a smash

This year, I'm doing a set of single hop beers using only the organic DME and organic hops that are available through 7Bridges. I've done two Cascades and a Summit so far, Centennial is next, looking forward to the new Fuggle they just got in, too. No strategy other than keeping it organic. Doing a tasting panel with family and friends on Father's Day to educate and gather consensus on how to proceed. once we get our hops act together, we'll experiment with some other component. I tried to use the same yeast for all of these batches, but I lost my French Ale yeast and can't find more. D'oh!

We've had this discussion a few times.

I posted a lot of info on doing extract SMaSH brews beginning here;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/what-heck-smash-97804/index2.html#post1065943

Revvy's Edit of the Mod edit: :D

I want to say in case someone searches an finds this this is not limited to ALL-GRAIN BREWERS ONLY you can SMaSH with extracts as well....

Some liquid extracts, expecially the lightest lovibond ones are SINGLE MALT as well.

Northern Brewer #20053 NB Organic Light Malt Syrup...Or even using XLT DME and a single hop would be an extract alternative.

Or a base extract + a couple ounces of steeping grain and a single hop. This isn't quite a smash...but you can use that to get an idea of how a steeping grain flavors a base of extract.

But there all 100% single malt (non blended/non hopped) Liquid extracts as well.

William's Brewing even offers Marris Otter LME. MARIS OTTER EXTRACT 8 LBS @ Williams Brewing

Briess offers an all Pilsner Malt Extract Pilsner Malt Extract | MoreBeer

So you too can play the SMaSHing game, it's not the sole propriety of the world of

It's a great way for everyone to get more control of their process, AND to get a feeling for how ingredients work with each other.

When I posted the links to the single malt extracts, a couple brewers told me they were going to do the extract smash...I haven't heard how it went.

So Have Fun!!!! :mug:

And even those that are blends are still worth smashing, it will get you a feel for how they work together.

using the amber,dark, wheat lme wouldent really be a smash, because they contain other malts like crystal. you can still get a good idea of a hop flavor though from using any of these and a single hop

but munich, pilsner or light would work for a smash

I've never known of a malt extract that if you actually find out what is in it is made from a single malt. There probably some, but it is overwhelmingly uncommon among extracts of any color. In general vendors won't disclose the makeup of an extract but will just describe it either by the color or the primary malt used. So for the smash purist, extracts are probably not a great option. I'm not sure being a smash purist is a great idea either, unless maybe you are making Pilsner Urquell.

What is the point of a smash? The typically advocated point is that you learn what a single ingredient tastes like (a single malt and a single hop and probably a single yeast too but that doesn't fit the acronym). Why wouldn't an extract brewer want to know what their amber extract tastes like? For an extract brewer to know what vienna malt tastes like is useless. They need to know what light extract and amber extract and munich extract taste liked. I say SESH to your hearts content.

Go for it.

I just made 3 related beers: all summit hops - one with 6 lbs pils LME and cry havoc, one with 9 lbs organic light malt (6 LME and 3 DME) and belgian schelde yeast, and one with 9 lbs pils (6 LME and 3 DME) and california ale yeast.

I'm really getting to know what summit hops are about and I freaking love them. Each of these beers are some of the best beers I've ever made by far and they are the first recipes I've made myself. no steeping grains. you can really get a long way with malt extract and a vision.

Back