Smash Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triskelion

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a quick and easy crowd pleaser beer, sort of pilsner inspired blonde ale.

23L batch

4Kg Lager malt
40g Tettnanger (1.9%) 60 mins
80g Tettnanger (1.9%) 20 mins
80g Tettnanger (1.9%) 6 mins

Mangrove jacks M44

1.047 OG
1.011 FG
25 IBU
4.7%

not sure if I'll do a decoction or just a single infusion.

Any thoughts?

Single, double or triple decoction? Does it matter?
I'd like a malt profile like a german pilsner. Not sure what their traditional decoction method would be.

I've read about doing a partial decoction by taking half of the grain at near the end of a single infusion mash and boiling it for 15 mins before adding it back. I've never done a decoction mash so I might do something simple like that. I still don't really get how tannins aren't extracted though.

I've read about doing a partial decoction by taking half of the grain at near the end of a single infusion mash and boiling it for 15 mins before adding it back. I've never done a decoction mash so I might do something simple like that. I still don't really get how tannins aren't extracted though.

The pH keeps the tannins from being extracted. Tannins won't be extracted unless the pH is too high.

On some of my lagers I do a single decoction with half the malt and while it's boiling 15 minutes I do a 131 degree protein rest and then use the decoction to raise it to whatever my second rest is depending on the beer. This has been working well.
We do it this way since it's a lot easier than pulling the grain out of the mash. You should also do a rest at 150 for 15 to 20 minutes before boiling the decoction.

On some of my lagers I do a single decoction with half the malt and while it's boiling 15 minutes I do a 131 degree protein rest and then use the decoction to raise it to whatever my second rest is depending on the beer. This has been working well.
We do it this way since it's a lot easier than pulling the grain out of the mash. You should also do a rest at 150 for 15 to 20 minutes before boiling the decoction.

I was going to keep it simple as it's a smash and just do a 66*c (150*f) single infusion. But thinking about it, your step mash would probably be better. Is the protein rest mainly for head retention? Also, am I right in saying that it's in the acid rest range and will lower my ph?

I'm thinking of doing a quick and easy crowd pleaser beer, sort of pilsner inspired blonde ale.

23L batch

4Kg Lager malt
40g Tettnanger (1.9%) 60 mins
80g Tettnanger (1.9%) 20 mins
80g Tettnanger (1.9%) 6 mins

Mangrove jacks M44

1.047 OG
1.011 FG
25 IBU
4.7%

not sure if I'll do a decoction or just a single infusion.

Any thoughts?

I would keep it simple, do a 90 min mash around 150 degrees and you should get the dry crisp "lager" style from ale yeast that you desire.

I would keep it simple, do a 90 min mash around 150 degrees and you should get the dry crisp "lager" style from ale yeast that you desire.

That was my first thought. I've read that a step mash is not important unless you've got under modified grains. But a decoction mash will make a noticeable difference to pale malts, regardless of them being modified or not. I can't confirm either for myself as I mainly just do single infusions.

I was going to keep it simple as it's a smash and just do a 66*c (150*f) single infusion. But thinking about it, your step mash would probably be better. Is the protein rest mainly for head retention? Also, am I right in saying that it's in the acid rest range and will lower my ph?

Doing a single infusion mash is fine with today's malts unless your using some less modified Moravian malt but even with modern malt a 131 rest will help with head retention and will be more efficient. The decoction is just to form melanoidins if they are part of the style your making. I only do this for pre prohibition lagers when I do a cereal mash and when I make Zoigl. I just thought since you were making a simple recipe it might be interesting to see how a decoction affects the beer.

Dough in the main mash at 95F. When RO water and standard lager malt are used, the mash pH should stabilize around 5.8, 5.7. Add sour malt to reduce pH to 5.5 - 5.3 range.
Rest the decoction at 122F for 15 minutes, then increase the temperature to 155F and rest the decoction for 20 minutes. An iodine test can be performed after the sacc rest. The color of the iodine should be reddish brown. If the iodine turns black, not to worry. Raise the temperature to boiling and boil the decoction for at least 20 minutes.
Skim off any hot break that forms when the decoction is boiling.
The mash will darken, do not confuse the initial darkening of the mash as maillard or the formation of mellanoidin. For mellanoildin to form by using a single decoction all of the ducks have to line up. Generally, boil times of 45 minutes and longer are needed to form 1st decoction maillard reaction and mellanoidin.
Use the decoction to reach a higher end proteinase temp or a beta temp in the main mash. Refer to the malt data sheet for beta alpha ratio. If beta is on the low side, extend the maltose/B-limit dextrinization rest period and reduce main mash pH to 5.2 - 5 range. Lowering the pH will stagger alpha and allow beta to catch up, converting glucose into maltose. Conversion doesn't really have anything to do with starch. Rather, conversion takes place when beta chops off a couple of molecules of glucose from the non-reducing end formed at the time when alpha liquefied a 1-4 link of the amylose starch chain, mixes the glucose with water and maltose is born. When there is a good maltose to glucose ratio in the wort, fermentation smooths out and a secondary fermenter might be needed.
Boiling the decoction will release amylopectin. When amylopectin forms, enzymes switch gears. Amylopectin is responsible for body. The infusion method skips the step.
Something to consider; when mash is doughed in at 130F or so, the brewmaster is now on enzymes time clock. The 1st decoction has to be worked with quickly, because Saccharification will occur at 130F in time. For that reason it is better to dough in at temperature's at which enzymes are working in slow motion. By using lower doughing in temps the brewmaster can work on the 1st decoction without being stressed out. The 1st decoction sets everything in motion. Brew on!!!

Hold your horses everyone! I've just got word from the maltster, my lager malt is fully modified with an snr of 38-42 (maybe this isn't surprising). Is there any point doing a protein rest? From what I've read, a protein rest will actually hurt the head retention of a fully modified malt.

...Also I might do an acid rest as I don't want hard water and I don't have any lactic acid. I calculate my mash ph to be 5.75 with gypsum and calcium chloride

Back