Smart Coasters Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
Recently I stumbled upon this site:

http://labjack.com/blog/end-table-drink-cooler

And while that is awesome I think it can be improved. What Im thinking of trying to make are a set (4 if I can make it work) or self contained cooling/heating coasters.

Now I dont think Im going to bother with the auto sensing of temp and rather have a button to control heating/cooling. Typically a peltier will cool to around 40F and up to around 120F from what Ive read.

My plan is to make a simple enclosure for the peltier to sit inside, with a small fan/heatsink and a battery pack.

I know there are units out there that run on USB, but I want to make a self contained unit that can be taken anywhere to keep my beer nice and cold (or my tea nice and hot)

Any comments or suggestions for pulling this off

Truthfully, mine dont last long enough to get warm either...usually. Sometimes when im working on a project I drink more leisurely and it might get a little warm (which truthfully, isnt too bad, room temp can be ok, warm not ok). However, it would be nice to have for guest during dinner/movie nights when we are all drinking a pint or two throughout the night

Back