Smallest Grain Bill for 15gal Megapot MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a set of 15gal megapots so that I have the option to do 10gal batches. I am, however, still planning on doing 5gal batches most of the time.

That said, on the MLT, for that size pot (15" tall, 19" diameter), using a false bottom and batch sparging, what's the smallest grain-bill y'all think would be safe to do in it? I'm worried about to thin of a grain bed.

Thanks for the info!

So I recently purchased a set of 15gal megapots so that I have the option to do 10gal batches. I am, however, still planning on doing 5gal batches most of the time.

That said, on the MLT, for that size pot (15" tall, 19" diameter), using a false bottom and batch sparging, what's the smallest grain-bill y'all think would be safe to do in it? I'm worried about to thin of a grain bed.

Thanks for the info!

I personally wouldn't do less that 5-8 lbs of grain in it.

Grain bed depth isn't as great of a concern if you are batch sparging. That said, as vance stated, 5-8 lbs would probably be it; that should get you a 2.5 gallon normal gravity beer, or a lower gravity 5 gallon beer.

Use a grain bag (Voile fabric). That way it is easier clean up, but more importantly you can hold the shape of the bag tighter to work with smaller amounts of grain - if that makes sense? I use a similar pot for my BIAB set up and next brew I am going with 8.75lbs which is the smallest brew I've ever done (6 gallons).

Back