Smaller batches using 5 gallon equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALowe

Reaction score
Does it make a huge difference or effect the outcome in any way using 5 gallon equipment (carboy, brew kettle, etc.) to make 1 - 2 gallon batches? I would like to start brewing more, but drinking 5 gallons of beer can be daunting.

Some reasons I can think of for why to use smaller equipment:

1) easier to cleanup
2) better to minimize headspace

But generally, no, it won't have a "huge" effect.

BTW, there's a whole thread on here somewhere with helpful thoughts on smaller batches. I think it's titled something like "1 gallon brewers unite"

depending on the size of the kettle you could have a large boil off with less wort. 1-2 gallon batches tend to be easier to chill in the sink with ice will you kettle fit?

Sorry for posting this outside of that feed. Thank you for pointing it out, i will take a look at that thread and see whats up.

I wasn't planning on kettling fitting, just because I am not sure if I want to purchase another set of equipment to scale down for a "pilot" type system.

I do smaller batches on my stove top. I have a five gallon kettle and three gallon carboy for the task. Less then 100 bucks for both. Super easy clean-up and I get to brew A LOT.

Back