Smaller batch in big kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PADave

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing some 2.5 gallon brews instead of my standard 5 gallon. These would be to try new styles, that I might not want a full keg of, and do attempt a couple big brews, like a RIS and a Belgian Quad. Would there be any reason not to do the boil for these smaller batches in my 10 gallon kettle, or should I use a smaller kettle?

You'll get more boiloff in the larger kettle, but that isn't a problem if you allow for it in the recipe. If anything it will increase your efficiency.

One thing to consider is that your wort level might be a bit low for your immersion chiller to do it's job properly. Assuming you use one of those, won't be a problem if you use something else for chilling.

Other than that I think you'll be fine. I've brewed 2.5G batches in my grainfather with no issues at all.

One big advantage of the larger kettle is that boil-overs are not a concern. I started off doing 5-gal batches in an 8-gal kettle, and I had to babysit the thing through the entire boil. I now have a 15-gal kettle, and have never come close to a boil-over with a 5-gal batch.

Back