Small white ring on surface?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mygar

Reaction score
Looking at the hefe I bottled 3 days ago... along with a little bit of sediment on the bottom... I now see a small white ring has developed on the surface of the beer. I am reusing green grolsch bottles.. so it is easier to see inside than regular brown bottles. Is this normal? Thanks!

Well I looked at each bottle and the disturbance caused them to disappear. I would think a small ring would be normal... sediment at bottom and little stuff at top just like in your fermenters. At least I hope!!

My first thought is a "mini-krausen."

yep that's what I'm thinking. lol... so funny being a newbie.. all these concerns/questions haha. it really hard to wait... to see how these bottles turn out!

all these concerns/questions haha. it really hard to wait... to see how these bottles turn out!
I use the Grolsch bottles as well.
I still get that "really hard to wait" feeling for one reason or another. I've got one six days in the bottle, yeast sediment in the bottom. My anticipation this time is from using less priming sugar to more closely duplicate a clone but also zeroing in on IBUs (trying to get around 25 for a Belgian triple.
I'm always curious as to whether I'll hit my FG and I have to wait three weeks.
I'll be interested to see how it turns out. There is no law that says you can't try one before two weeks to see how the carbonation is coming along.

I use the Grolsch bottles as well.
I still get that "really hard to wait" feeling for one reason or another. I've got one six days in the bottle, yeast sediment in the bottom. My anticipation this time is from using less priming sugar to more closely duplicate a clone but also zeroing in on IBUs (trying to get around 25 for a Belgian triple.
I'm always curious as to whether I'll hit my FG and I have to wait three weeks.
I'll be interested to see how it turns out. There is no law that says you can't try one before two weeks to see how the carbonation is coming along.

I thought FG was after fermentation? Like your bike .. I ride an FLDE myself

I thought FG was after fermentation? Like your bike .. I ride an FLDE myself
That's it. I might have been confusing in my post. My FG statement is a stand-alone thought.
I ferment for three weeks always because of the styles I make so I have to wait twenty-one days before I open the fermenter which always leaves me anticipating how it will turn out number-wise. I'm very big on opening the fermenter only once which is after three weeks where I check the FG and then immediately transfer to the bottling bucket.

That's a sweet bike. I'll be going around town on mine doing errands or creating errands so I can ride around town. I'm good either way.

Back